Couch surfer with Apple TV software 2.1

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by monty77, Sep 22, 2008.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else running this successfully?

Patched my ATV to enable SSH/SFTP and installed CS, however whenever I load a website as soon as I start to navigate it crashes and returns me to the menu screen.

Thanks!
    M

2. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Couch Surfer (0.4) seems incredibly unstable to me. I'm running the latest Apple TV firmware along with XBMC Atlantis and the newest Boxee (Hulu is back, but still choppy on newer higher resolution shows and therefore rather useless, IMO, especially considering how unresponsive and slow the interface is...whether due to 'buffering' or something I have no idea. I just know I can't stand it ignoring my clicks for minutes at a time and trying to watch a NBC show play back with total choppies...why bother?).

Anyway, I digress. Couch Surfer mostly seems to freeze/lock up when clicking various interface buttons such as the search button in Google or a text input box or whatever. It just FREEZES and then the Apple TV will take no more input and I have to get up and pull the power plug and hard reboot. Talk about ANNOYING. It pretty much makes the thing completely USELESS. I cannot even go three links sometimes before it freezes. I see very few mentions of this problem anywhere on the Web with a search and I see no signs of updates or bug fixes in many months so it's pretty much worthless. It would be really nice to be able to browse from Apple TV, but instead of new features, Couch Surfer needs STABILITY more than anything else.

Overall, I've been incredibly disappointed in most of the "hacks" for Apple TV. They're usually either very slow, very buggy or both.

XBMC has been the most stable of the bunch. It'll crash sometimes too, but usually reboots the Finder instead of locking things up. For the most part, it play music, movies and videos just fine and the visualizer for music is great (sure beats the big NOTHING Apple offers for a visualizer on Apple TV despite the nice new ones they include for iTunes; I can't fathom why they cannot be bothered to include them for AppleTV; if my PowerMac with an old ATI 9800 Pro can play those iTunes 3D visualizers smoothly, certainly an AppleTV that can handle 720P should have no problems). My only major complaint about XBMC is its total inability to read the TAGS already included with movies. Why should it try to search filenames and databases when all my movies already have all the information and even movie photos tagged within them? If they can add tha feature, it'll be a good alternative to the default interface. The photo viewer is a little slow too, though (AppleTV built-in one is very fast by comparison). I also see no option to view slides while listening to music in XBMC (AppleTV is just the opposite; it can show slides, but no visualizer).