Could 05.11.07 Have Improved my GPS Reception?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thelatinist, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. thelatinist macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #1
    After running 3.0.1 for weeks and pwned 3.1 with baseband 04.26.08 since PwnageTool 3.1.3 was released, last night I decided to upgrade to 3.1 official, downgrade using Saurik's solution, and re-jailbreak and re-pwn. Since I did that I've had much better GPS reception. It used to take at least a minute to get a lock; now it takes seconds. Could something in the new baseband have improved my GPS reception? I wasn't expecting this, and was pleasantly surprised.

    I'm also at 6:42 usage (most of it streaming music over WiFi) with 30% battery remaining. This is better than I've ever had before.
     
  2. dhlizard macrumors G4

    dhlizard

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Location:
    The Jailbreak Community
    #2
    As far as I can remember, no one has documented this.

    My wife and I both have 3G phones. She is at 5.11.xx and i am at 4.26.xx. When we use our navigation apps in the car, I have not noticed any difference, but I haven't really been looking carefully.

    But, sounds like it's a plus for you !!
     
  3. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #3
    I've since experimented, and I can get locations in places where it would always time out before (inside brick buildings, basement rooms, etc.). I don't know how it could have had such a big effect on it, but it seems to have.
     
  4. shigs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #4
    I went ahead and upgraded via itunes to the official 3.1.2 then used Blackra1n to jailbreak and since then my GPS has been better than ever. I was ready to give up on it. I would drive down the road and every 15 seconds see the message "Poor GPS Signal" on all the programs I've tried but now it picks up within a minute or two and works like a charm.
     
  5. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #5
    The interesting thing to me is that just upgrading to 3.1 didn't do it; it was only after I upgraded the baseband that it was improved. Perhaps there was some sort of interference from the phone transmitter that was causing problems with GPS? Whatever the change, it seems to have worked for me!
     
  6. dhlizard macrumors G4

    dhlizard

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Location:
    The Jailbreak Community
    #6
    Can't remember, do you have a 3G or 3GS ? I'm thinking it's a 3GS.
     
  7. thep33t macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    #7
    I upgraded to 3.1.2 official the other day, from a very, very old baseband, and have actually noticed better service and reception, might just be good luck, but I feel as if something was fixed in the last few Baseband releases.
     
  8. shigs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #8
    I was running a custom 3.1 ipsw with the older baseband before but once I updated to 3.1.2 with the new baseband thats when everything got better.
     
  9. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #9
    It's in my signature. ;-)

    My experience precisely.
     
  10. bytethese macrumors 68030

    bytethese

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location:
    Cranford, NJ
    #10
    Baseband update shouldn't have anything to do with GPS. BBaseband updates the modem chip's software, GPS is a separate chip. GPS also doesn't use data or your cellular connection, it gets the signal from the satellites. Perhaps the baseband helped the cellular connection and sped up data xfer to facilitate the tile images in Google and the cellular triangulation?
     
  11. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #11
    Possibly it has something to do with the aGPS servers, but it has nothing to do with the Google images or data transfer rates as the issue affects all sorts of applications when running on Edge and on WiFi. It even affects the speed of Locate My iPhone on MobileMe. And it isn't cellular triangulation: I always got an almost instant cell-tower-based location (often miles away); it was the GPS lock that took so long.

    I believe that I've read that the modem firmware (baseband) can address issues that affect other RF transmitters and receivers in the phone. Maybe that's what's happening here.
     

Share This Page