could 7" iPad be the next iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matt90036, Dec 17, 2011.

1. matt90036 macrumors regular

just makes me curious, if 7.85" iPad could be the new iPod touch? would it be possible for apple to use generation 1 iPad internals (same RAM, same motherboard speed, etc), shave off some money on 7 inch screen and pull out the unit as $199 iPod touch. just curious how much does the iPad1 actually cost right now to produce. this would probably be the amazon killer touch device.

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I've thought for sometime that Apple will introduce a 7" tablet but put it in the iPod product line. That will avoid embarrassing questions about departing from Jobs' decree that a 7" iPad is a non-starter, revive the dying iPod line, and compete directly with the Kindle Fire and other 7" tablets.

The major barriers are price and app performance/look/feel. Too low may compete more strongly with the KF but cannibalize sales at the low end of the iPad line. Too high and unless a customer really feels the iPad is "too big" and the it fails to compete adequately with the KF and the low end iPad. I'm guessing $299-$349 max.

The other problem, of course, is the look and feel of apps. It puts still another form factor into the mix for developers. Inflated iPhone/Touch apps may serve the purpose at least at the beginning. That worked for the initial iPad for awhile. But putting out still another form factor may be a problem for many developers.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I think the title of your post is backwards. It should be: could the iPod Touch be the new 7" iPad?

4. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree it will fragment the app ecosystem but I think apple can afford it. There are several reasons IMO:
    1. there will be 3 devices unlike android 100s
    2. apple got the biggest number of developers
    3. lots of people would love 7" device
    So in the end if apple did come out with another screen size it would be just like with the iPad. At first the iPad didn't have that many apps and iphone was the king but slowly and surely the number of apps increased. Now we have 2 well developed ecosystems 3.5-4" and 10." If there is one company that could overcome fragmentation it is apple.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Q: Could 7" iPad be the next iPod touch?
    A: No.

I own an iPad 2 and a Kindle Fire. They're both excellent devices IMO, but the KF is hardly in a position where there needs to be a "killer" to compete with it.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

This actually does seem like a good theory.

For whatever reasons, Apple defenders make up potential problems with the 7" that aren't necessarily true. Fragmentation is ALREADY real on iOS already because there's a separation between iPhone/iPad apps, iOS 3/4/5 apps, retina/regular displays and Siri/siri capable devices that are intentionally left out. Yet there is success on EVERY level because Apple knows how to make it work. So to act as if 7" would destroy the ecosystem is ridiculous.

And as for the Touch becoming the iPad. It makes sense. The History of the touch is that it was created simply because it was easy since all the specs are so similar to the iPhone. But with so much success on both products then separating the Touch to be more unique (and therefore a completely separate product) establishes itself as a new tier and profit maker. If a person can't afford an iPhone but wants music then they can get an iPod. If a person wants MORE than an iPod but an iPad is too much they can ge t a 7" iPad Mini. It's win-Win all around And as an added bonus it will eliminate a product name that is constantly mistakenlycalled the iTouch.

As harsh as this sounds, the people parroting Jobs' words on 7" being unusable need to realize that he isn't around anymore. If you read the book then he has such a strong influence on the life and death of products but that doesn't mean he is always right. Without him vetoing things then we may see Apple take more risks.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

If they make a 7" device, it won't be iPad, iPod, or iPhone. It would be something different. The idea of iPod touch is an mp3 player that you can stick in your pocket or wear on armband while working out. 7" device is not a pocket friendly one. And I would love to see someone with it on the armband in the gym.

As for Android "fragmentation", it's not much worse than iOS. Android works on API levels. If a device running certain version of OS, it is capable of certain API level. And versions are also backwards compatible. So a developer won't write for "Samsung phone with AMOLED screen, CDMA, but not 4g". It would be written for API level x. And every phone running that version of Android will be able to run the app. Most common version now is 2.3, and writing for that more or less guarantees that 80% of devices will be able to run the app.

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not going to give a definitive answer to the OP's question I'm just going to point out some observations.

1. The iPad is a very successful product, that apple make a lot of money from.
    2. The iPod Touch is a very successful product, that apple make a lot of money from.
    3. The most successful 7 inch tablet, (Kindle Fire) is sold at a loss. 7 inch tablets, priced to make a profit, don't sell.
    4. Apple prefer to make money rather than have large market share. (Of course both is preferable, but if only one is possible apple always choose profit.)

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

A 7.85 or 7.5 or 7" screen at 4:3 (zerox-reduced from a current iPad proportion) is still a bit wide to span with one hand or pocket, whereas most 7" 16:9/10 tablets aren't. A better size to move to would be the largest-but-still-pocketable 4:3 screen IMO. Perhaps a 6.5 or 6" screen. Apple will need to keep the new size's price roughly the same percentage below the current size/price of the iPad to seem "fair", and I'm not sure simply making it 25% smaller can be done for 25% less in costs. All the labor/production time would be the same, it seems.