Could a case cause these marks on the antennae?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by applebook, Oct 1, 2010.

1. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I bought this used iPhone 4, and the previous owner says that the phone had been in a rubber Incipio case since day one. Since the back is in perfect condition, I tend to believe him because almost every single iP4 that I've seen without major back protection is noticeably scratched. He claims that the side marks were probably caused by dirt/debris rubbing against the case. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Dirt/grit between 2 surfaces rubbing against one another will cause abrasion. Since the edges get rubbed/held more, any case can cause this. This is why cases should be removed periodically to clean out debris.

3. hadleydb macrumors 6502

hadleydb

I haven't had a case since day one, but I did get one a month after from the free case program. My back invisible shield is pitted from dirt getting in and rubbing on it, and my sides are starting to get slight wear (not like pictured but slight). So I can see it happening. I have been cleaning it regularly now.

4. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

that is from the case, it happened a lot to my iphone 3 and other phones.

5. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

I have been using a bumper or some sort of case from day 1 and I have nothing on my phone that looks like that. But I take the case off at least a couple of times a week and clean everything. Give that a try and see if it helps.

6. applebook thread starter macrumors 6502a

applebook

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

This is really weak. I've never been into cases, but I was thinking of using my Griffin Etch Reveal because it actually looks very nice.

Now I will go with my original plan and just use a slip-case like CrapBerrys.

7. applebook thread starter macrumors 6502a

applebook

Well, since you clean it regularly, you won't see these marks...apparently.

The stains are quite strange. They aren't scratches. I'd describe them as almost stains from the rubber case that has permanently attached to the steel. However, I haven't really tried too hard to wipe them off (just used my fingers). Maybe I'll get a jeweler to brush them away.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

If you figure it out, let us know. A solution to this could be helpful.

9. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I was using my bumper but it seemed no matter how many times I took it off and cleaned out the dirt (usually about 3 times a week) it still scratched the hell out of my antenna. It's pretty bad on the corners and around the silent switch which makes sense but it's still sucks. I don't even bother with a case anymore, I just keep it in the leather Sena sleeve that I had for my 3GS when it's in my pocket.

10. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Hmm thats weird, try rubbing it out with Isopropyl alcohol, its for cuts and stuff.

11. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

My black iPhone bumper from Apple caused this issue for me. My antenna is badly scratched/stained just like in those pictures (although noticeably worse). Oh well. :(

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yeah, you don't want it to get infected.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Same thing happened to me with the black bumper when I took it off the second and last time. It didn't scratch mines though, but it had those same stains. Just cleaned it off before installing the Speck case. Now if my Speck did scratch up the sides, it wouldn't bother me too much because the case would cover it anyway. I am not a case guy, but this model needs one just for grip, comfort, and protection. But avoid Apple Bumpers.

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

We talking about the phone or something else here...?

15. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

cases ruin the phone more than if you don't have a case and just take care of the phone. Plus cases are ugly.

16. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

lolz thats a funny way to hold the phone.

17. JamesHP macrumors regular

My bumper did exactly this to my phone. Very irritating, and my Griffin Reveal didn't do it. I've booked a genius appointment to see if they will replace it, I've googled it and people have been getting them replaced if they've been using bumpers. If they do it's back to the reveal for me.

18. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I could not agree more!!!! People ask me "Why don't you have a case?" and I'm like, "Cases look like crap and scratch the hell out of iPhones" "What if you drop it?" "I don't" :D

19. applebook thread starter macrumors 6502a

applebook

Good to know, James, I will try to ask at the Apple store. Unfortunately, I'm not the original owner, so I don't have the receipt. Hopefully, Apple might consider replacing the antenna, which can't be terribly expensive anyway.

Roofy, not all cases are ugly, but with the beauty of the iP4, none of them is as handsome as the phone itself. I always shudder whenever I see a wonderfully designed device (usually an Apple product) shrouded in some hideous skin. WHY? Unless you work in construction, WHY?

20. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

wow that sucks, the stainless band is clearly damaged

thats what you get for trying to save a few bucks on ebay

21. applebook thread starter macrumors 6502a

applebook

I didn't buy it on eBay, and I saved far more than a few bucks. When I took the phone out of the case and saw the "stains," I asked for a better discount and got it. Overall, I'm pleased with the price that I paid for it, knowing the blemishes.

Should I book an appointment or just take it into the Apple store and hope for the best? Honestly, whether I can get it fixed or not doesn't matter too much, but hey, if I can get a new one, why not! ;)

22. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Yup. I bought a Griffin case and all it did was put a bunch of tiny dents in the back glass. then I got a bumper and it scratched the antenna.

23. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

My clear Belkin Vue didn't put a single mark on any part of my phone whatsoever (never took it out to clean it either) but I used my bumper for a few weeks with a lot of cleaning and the antenna looks like crap. The problem is that they use hard plastic on the inside of the bumper which makes any dirt that gets in there much more abrasive because it's stuck between 2 hard surfaces. I think that if they would have put a thin rubber or even a layer of velvet (or similar material) then we wouldn't have these problems.

24. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I doubt they'll care, general wear and tear, mines the same though, so do let us know :D

Edit: By the way, can anybody tell me what the Belkin View is made out of? Hard plastic, or soft, rubbery? How about the Shield Eclipse?

25. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

The Belkin Vue is made of a hard rubber, not too hard though. It's definitely not as soft as the rubber used on the bumper though.