Could a logic board issue affect software backups in any way?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rye9, Apr 4, 2016.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I need to send my MBP in for a repair due to the logic board. When I get it back, should I trust the backup on my external HD when I restore the system from backup?

I understand my option otherwise is to manually set things up as new, etc... but if it's "safe" to just restore from backup I'd certainly prefer that.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You should not need to restore. Your current flash drive will be moved to the new logic board unless there is also a failure with the flash drive.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Oh! Okay great

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the only thing you have to worry about are some programs that you might have purchased. they might be tied to the mac address/ serial number of the logic board, and replacing the logic board will cause the ' registered ' version of an app to fail, and you will need to ask them for a new ' activation '

other then that time machine is incredible. you can buy a new mac and connect it to your old mac's backup and everything is fine and everything works great.

the only time machine problem i ever really had was i tried to restore snow leopard onto mavericks and found out that i had to manually transfer the photos over because iphoto was replaced

i reminded people on facebook thats not the case with window's system image ! and they doubted me. so i had to paste the url, i have not heard back