Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

classixuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd come back and update this thread with some feedback (may be helpful to others who read this in the future).

I've been living with my mac mini for a few days now and haven't touched the PC at all - that's probably just the novelty though. I also lived with the Mac Mini on it's original 2GB RAM until today when I upgraded to the 8GB (just to see the difference).

Here's my thoughts so far about the entire experience:

• Memory wise I can see why 8GB is recommended. Safari opens instantly as of today and right now I have about 15 tabs open.
  • I am loving the Mac OS. It has really surpised me how intuitive it is to use - not half as hard as I imagined (owning an iPhone probably helps as I am used to iOS).
  • I'm getting to grips with the Trackpad, just wish they made one with a representation of the screen on it as I think that would be helpful.
  • The bundled software with OS X is amazing. iMovie is a joy - that stuff would sell for mega bucks as a Windows software. I tried editing video in it and also making a trailer and there were no problems whatsoever. Garageband seems like lots of fun and iPhoto is quite useful for quick edits too (reminds me of Photoshop Elements).
  • The iWork suite is frankly amazing. Numbers totally owns Excel's butt. So colourful and intuitive to use. Keynote looks impressive but Pages really had me bowled over after years of Publisher and Word. Really impressed.
  • What else? - I cannot believe how damn quiet the Mac Mini is! It makes absolutely no sound at all. I really wasn't expecting that. My Sky box can be heard but not my computer. Intriguing to say the least.

It's not all fun and games just yet though.

Stuff I am slightly struggling with on my learning curve:

• Where is the 'delete key' and the 'page up/page down keys' and also the HOME button on the Apple keyboard? Didn't realise how much I would miss those keys when using forums.
  • Many shortcuts seem to not be like shortcuts at all. For instance, to go back one page in Safari it's CMD + [ ? I keep pressing the backspace key (as on every PC I have ever used). History for me CTRL + H …. in Safari it's 3 keys. :(
  • Where oh where is the Operating system? In Finder I can only see what I would call "My Documents" on a PC. That seems a bit strange.
  • Automator is meant to be easy to use, but what exactly would I use it for? It's like Photoshop actions for the OS, but I'm yet to think of a use for it.
  • Mail - I have my iPhone set to only keep the last 30 days email from Gmail - leave the rest on the server. I don't seem to be able to set this option using the mail application that comes with OS X. That's a shame. I have a few gigs sitting in my gmail account (a archive if you like) and I don't want them all sitting on my harddrive too.

Apart from that, I am really enjoying using my Mac Mini.

Favourite moment so far? It's a lame one, but I took a photo of my dog on my iPhone and within seconds it was there on my Mac ready to edit - automatically and over the air without me having to do a thing! Impressive or what?

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.