Could a MBP 13 trackpad be used for taking notes??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazedragon45, Dec 10, 2009.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

Just wondering although might sound really dumb.. is there a program out there that helps with taking notes (using your index or middle finger as a pen)
    I think the extreme sensitivity of the trackpad might help with this.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It might be possible, but I don't know of any apps that enable it.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I know you can use it as input for Chinese characters, but it seems like taking a step back in using it for English. Spend some time learning home row and you'll have solved your problem.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

just learn to type, otherwise you have to use something like a Wacom Bamboo Touch pad or something. Even then, its not realistic for taking notes. typing trumps hand writing any notes.

6. Mhmm macrumors member

He is most likely referring to making small drawings as you would in a regular notebook. Sort of like the pencil function of Word's note-taking mode, but you know, usable.

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

There are many instances that typing is not the solution. It would be extremely useful to have this ability when taking notes for a variety of subjects such as Chemistry, Physics, and even Biology.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

At the moment, there isn't a way. We'll just have to wait for the release of a Mac tablet, because I'm looking for the same thing you are.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the size and intent of the trackpad (trackpad vs. virtual pen) I'd say it would be a clumsy use of the trackpad, in that you'll be better off with a more dedicated solution. That is pen and paper, or typing. Personally, I find typing to be faster then writing and most (all?) people I know type faster then they write so typing is the better solution I think.

10. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

You're right. Typing is generally a better solution to note-taking in a lecture. However, when it comes to drawing molecular structures, mathematical formulas, and cell diagrams, it would be nice to be able to quickly sketch the information using the trackpad within Pages or Word.

11. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

yes.. exactly what i would use it for. If only Word or Pages had a feature that let u make a "box" in your document where u can draw or write equations.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, what your talking about pretty much requires a design tablet of some sort, like a bamboo pad

13. Mhmm macrumors member

That DOES exist, at least in Word when using the note-taking mode. Sadly it's not that well adjusted (you have to click with one finger and draw with the other, making very clumsy sketches).

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If you did a boot camp you could run one note, its by microsoft and does exactly what you want, it just means you have to boot camp and get the program, it may be a fair amount of work, but it does give you what you want.:cool:

15. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

It's pretty strange that there is no direct Mac solution.

16. fluffyx macrumors 6502

This doesn't do EXACTLY what you want, but it's along those lines, and it's a pretty cool app :).