Could a new MacBook Pro replace my Powermac G5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bedrock22, Feb 16, 2008.

1. bedrock22 macrumors member

For the last 5-6 years I've had 3 computers in my home, all at the same time.

The first is an old Dell Inspiron laptop I almost never use, except to browse the internet. It's a miserable machine, donated to me by a family member who upgraded. 700mhz, 512mb RAM.

The second is a Windows machine i custom built in 2003 to do workstation 3D graphics work. It's still a fantastic machine, but its beginning to show its age. I almost never use it, except to play some games or do some minor 3d work. Dual AMD athlon, 1.2ghz, 1GB RAM.

My main computer at home is a Powermac G5 dual 1.8, 4gb RAM. I use it daily for everything from internet to Logic Pro to Adobe Lightroom, photoshop... many processor intensive applications. This machine is from 2004ish, and is also starting to show its age. It struggles to run lightroom smoothly, and chokes on heavy Logic Pro documents.

I've been eyeballing the MacBook Pro's for some time now, and I feel its time to finally buy one. My plan was to sell my Dell laptop and my PC, and put that money toward the Macbook... the idea was the two birds with one stone thing... I could use the Macbook as a portable, and similarly be able to dual-boot into windows, where it would EASILY out-perform my existing PC, and i could run a DVI-out to my lcd and use it for anything I've already been using my PC for.

But suddenly i thought.... could this also possibly replace my Powermac G5? I intend to get the 15" 2.4ghz model, and upgrade it to 4gb RAM on my own... I actually think it could outperform my desktop on ALL levels, Id just have to make externals out of my existing internal HD's...

Can anyone advise me on this? would the Macbook 2.4 outperform my powermac g5 dual 1.8 by leaps and bounds? I'm also anticipating the eagerly awaited updates to the macbooks, which could possibly improve these odds of the macbook outperforming my machine.

If this were the case, I could consolidate all my machines at home into ONE... powerful macintosh, portable, and bootable into a powerful windows system, and i could run DVI out to my LCD monitor when I'm at home...

It seems almost too good to be true... is it?

Thanks!
    chris

2. Fezzasus macrumors regular

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've done just that.

Replaced my aging PowerMac G5 with a MBP 2.2, and it absolutely FLIES. No competition.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh yes the newer MBP's will out perform your G5 by quite a bit. its also portable so you can use it basically anywhere, storage wise its not as much but im sure a few external hard drives can fix that...

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It can, plus you get portability. But keep in mind what you're giving up, that G5 you have can hold (I think) 8GB of RAM and the new Mac Pros can hold 32GB, 4GB is the max for a MBP. Also your hard drive isn't upgradable, but the Pro towers can hold 4 drives. I just think it's important to keep in mind the differences between the MBP and the pro towers, portability vs. expandability.

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

Um. yes it is.

If you require more storage, there are plenty of firewire and usb solutions.

As for the RAM, 32 bit programs can only take advantage of 4 GB, there isn't really the need for more than 4 GB when most of the programs available are 32 bit.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

actually i think your wrong.. im sure that if you could find 2x4gb sticks and put them in (very veryy costly), they would work. i thought the new santa rosa chip could do that>?

8. dimme macrumors 65816

I have a MBP 2.4 and a G5 DC2.3. I use the Mac Book Pro 80% of the time and it serves my needs well. i do lots of Lightroom & Photoshop. I have a few external Hard drives so storage is not a problem. I still use my G5 for my master itunes library. I have been thinking of selling my G5 because it is still worth a few $$$. On the other hand it is nice to have a backup machine. So IMO to answer your question yes go for it!

For Lightroom and Photoshop work you should have a external monitor.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why dont you hook ur external harddrives up to ur MP, then wirelessly map to those hard drives, maybe even a N router could speed it up?

10. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

yeah i reckon it could especially if you got the 2.6ghz BTO option and 4gb RAM it would do fine

Gus :cool:

11. dimme macrumors 65816

I have the Airport base statin that supports air disk but the performance is very poor. With 10.5 there seams to be a bug when the computer goes to sleep. So when I need more storage I plug n the firewire drives.