Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Hi everyone i’d like to check something thats been mind boggling me for a few days, seems like a no brainer to me but here it is...

Ever since I upgraded my AW I stopped taking it off when I shower(Music control), only thing is although waterproof the Apple watch screen isn’t responsive underwater. HOWEVER i noticed that on both my iphone X and my Apple watch 3D touch seems to be responsive 100% of the time (not affected by water.)

Right now I believe 3D touch on Apple watch is limited to full screen only, whereas the iPhone allows you to 3D on specific elements on screen, is the Apple watch capable of handling contextual or per-button 3D touch?

Because if the Apple watch supports “per-button” 3D touch like the iphone, What would prevent Apple to deactivate regular touch screen sensors in favor of 3D touch when in water mode?

This would seem like an easy fix to a pain in *** problem!

Food for thoughts?

Last edited:

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
3D touch flexes the screen, so perhaps the small surface area combined with the edges so close together means that the screen flexes less or not enough. Or based on the exposed glass edges it could mean that the screen is slightly thicker and therefore less flexible. Or the sapphire screen, soft though it is, cannot flex much as increased scratch resistance comes with decreased flexibility and the regular screen is blocked from a better 3D touch, either to match features or to stop the cheaper version from being better.

Either way, if they could make it better I imagine they would.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes the reason being that the  Watch screen is not big enough for 3D Touch to work like the iPhone. Either way  is getting rid off 3D Touch this year, so there’s that.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Right now I believe 3D touch on Apple watch is limited to full screen only, whereas the iPhone allows you to 3D on specific elements on screen, is the Apple watch capable of handling contextual or per-button 3D touch?
I doubt it. If you check out tear-downs, you will se that Apple Watch uses pressure sensitiv gasket around the screen to measure pressure, while the iPhone sensor is full layer in the display assembly. Maybe the reason why Apple calls it Force-touch on Apple Watch and 3D-touch on iPhone.

Yes the reason being that the  Watch screen is not big enough for 3D Touch to work like the iPhone. Either way  is getting rid off 3D Touch this year, so there’s that.
That is a bit of a claim, without stating any sources to back it up.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not sure if you’re keeping up with the rumours but it seems almost certain that  will remove 3D Touch from the iPhones this year.

Weren’t there rumors last year that 3D Touch would be removed for the 2018 iPhones? That didn’t happen with the XS, that doesn’t mean that rumors are always true, it’s more of a projection than anything. That said, 3D Touch and ‘Force touch’ are virtually the same thing, but Force touch invoke short cuts just as 3D Touch does, but just in a more condensed fashion.

Reactions: Skika

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Weren’t there rumors last year that 3D Touch would be removed for the 2018 iPhones? That didn’t happen with the XS, that doesn’t mean that rumors are always true, it’s more of a projection than anything. That said, 3D Touch and ‘Force touch’ are virtually the same thing, but Force touch invoke short cuts just as 3D Touch does, but just in a more condensed fashion.

Personally I love 3D Touch and don’t want it to go. I use it everyday uncountable times.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Not sure if you’re keeping up with the rumours but it seems almost certain that  will remove 3D Touch from the iPhones this year.
You could have stated according to latest rumors as a source instead of stating as a done deal. Rumors regarding Apple is all over the place and very very little can be trusted, especially so long out in the future. Actually I think Apple is often playing it, to divert from their real intention and getting lots of free publicity.

That said I don't care if it disappears from iPhone, since it is so badly implemented and I don't miss it when doing Android. So much better if you could customize as a shortcut for longpress or what else you would like. Now it is like alt/option key on Mac, where you never now, if there is any functionality and some place have to balance halfway down to actually trigger special functionality.

But force touch on Apple Watch is hardly going anywhere unless they add a hardware key. But I think the gasket implementation is actually cheaper than a waterproofed button, so that will hardly happen. That said for fitness purposes, I wish there where more physical buttons instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.