All iPads Could a successful iPad mini create demand for an iPhablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ckurt25, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I was wondering this from the beginning and originally thought no way but the more I think about it, the more I think there could be demand for it.

I know there are going to be some people that say "no way Apple will ever build a phablet" but there were plenty of people that said Apple will never build an iPad mini.

2 1/2 years ago, Apple released the iPad. Over time people started to say, this is great, I wish it was smaller. With the iPhone, people obviously loved it and they've made a bigger one. Let's forget about what resolution and fragmentation (and the name iPhablet - yuck) for a minute and just focus on consumer demand. Will people hold the iPad mini in one hand, their iPhone in the other and say, "It would be nice if there was something in the middle and I only had to carry one device" and Apple hears this a build something like the Galaxy Note?

For comparison, check out this link - http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/35705-ipad-mini-vs-note-vs-iphone-5

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

I guess we should never say never, but I believe that is one market that apple will not jump in. I believe they want to stand with a one handed device. Which would explain why they went with a taller, but not wider iPhone.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    ummm, they're promoting the iPad Mini as a "one handed device"

4. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

That is a good point. Maybe if they ever consider it they keep the current iPhone 5 form factor and add a larger (5.5?) size.

I guess the risk there is if they build a big phone and people buy it, they won't have a reason to get an iPad mini. Maybe then the full size iPad is their other device.

----------

That you can hold in one hand but not operate with one hand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Rc4MDmr8o

5. HobeSoundDarryl, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    There was enormous longing for a bigger iPhone leading up to the iPhone 5 rollout... tons of posts by fans even somewhat threatening that they wouldn't buy if the "5" didn't come with a bigger screen. Another huge contingent claimed the size chosen by Steve was the One and Only Size of perfection and they wouldn't buy if it was changed. Lots of arguments about not needing another resolution for (Android-like) fragmentation, etc.

Then, Apple rolled out the taller but not wider "5" and all the camps seemed to swing from "hate" to "love" with only a much smaller (than before) subset still finding fault.

Your idea of a bigger height & width "6" or "7" appeared to be exactly what a lot of people here wanted in the "5"... right up until Apple announced the new "perfect" size as the size released. Now the idea would mostly get pooh-poohed... right up until Apple would roll it out (and then it would be "perfect", how did we ever get by with the old, "tiny" screens, and so on).

----------

All that is is marketing propaganda (more about why we shouldn't like bigger-screen Android phones than why we should like the "perfect" size screen of an iPhone). I happen to have 2 hands, as do the vast majority of the population. While I could use an iPhone with only a single hand as shown in that video, I would mostly use one hand to hold it and the other to do things on it. Maybe I'm the exception?

I also happen to have larger-than-average hands and find the iPhone- including the new one- too small for me. So I probably would be the exception in being able to hold and operate the iPad Mini with (mostly) one hand. Yes, it will be a little big, but- for me anyway- not any bigger than the iPhone is (too) small. In that battle of too small vs. too big, I- for one- would rather have the latter (and just use my other hand when necessary).

6. monaarts macrumors 65816

When I hear the word "phablet" I can only hear a offensive word that is often used to refer to homosexual people... No offense to anyone - no hate from this guy! It is just what pops in my head!

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I would possibly be interested in such a product, but only if it had the same exceptional battery life of the iPad.

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I sure hope we get one!! I often lust over the Note (and the new Note 2) because of its size but there's no way I'm abandoning iOS. If Apple were to make one of that size, I would instantly get it and get rid of my iPad.

9. ClubDownforce macrumors newbie

Which is precisely why Apple will not make one.