iPad Could an iPad replace my computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Daniel3102, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hello iPad forum!! This is my first time posting here :D

Ok, I'm currently using a CRAPPY windows 7 laptop. I just got a job and I wanted to get two iMacs, one for myself and my mom for Christmas. Looking at my schedule, I don't think I'll be able to afford a 1100 dollor iMac and a 2600 iMac. Two iPad Air 2s would be WAY cheaper, and would STILL be better than our computers we have now. So, would it be worth replacing our computers with iPads? What do you think?

2. plusnq macrumors member

What do you do with your computer? What software do you need for work and home?

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Simple answer: No. An iPad is NOT a computer replacement.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

5. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

my suggestion--read the scores of mac rumors threads on this same topic.

6. tdale macrumors 65816

Easy answer, no. If all you do is surf, email, youtube, then yes. Or only watch/read/listen, then yes

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Even though it seems like you could you will eventually find that it really cannot. There will always end up being something you wish you could do or need to do that you just can't. My iPad gets used constantly and I love it. But, I have a MacBook Pro that also gets used because it's just better or more capable at certain tasks.

8. AndreaTa macrumors regular

The answer is NO. The iPad does not have enough function of a computer, and I don't know why you want to replace a computer by an iPad. :(

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

iPads do not equal iMacs. Why not buy one iMac at Xmas and share it with your mom till you can afford to buy the second one. At that time, pass the first one off to your mom and you are all set.

10. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I've thought about that exact same question (more notably with a 5.5 iPhone). For most basic of users I feel it is entirely possible to achieve 95%+ of their needs with an iPad/larg iPhone. Here is my reasoning/proposed setup:
    iPad
    stand (essential for being able to use device's screen while connected)
    Monitor
    bluetooth keyboard
    speakers (if desired)
    Apple digital AV lightning dongle (HDMI out preferable)

That would allow you to essentially plug-in and charge your device wile displaying video out onto a larger screen (giving you a desktop feel), and allow you to type away to your heart's content. Also, if you need to be on the go, then unplug and take it. The only thing that really sucks is no native mouse support for iOS. I do admit that having a PC around for the more intensive/dedicated tasks is probably best; but I feel that this setup would work out fabulously. Especially considering all of the apps that are at your disposal (including the Microsoft Office Suite). If my fiancee would let me, I would totally set this up for her :D

11. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

If your employer provides a computer for work and your needs are therefore limited to home use, then yes an iPad would be sufficient for most people. You will need to use cloud storage and backup, but there are lots of great alternatives for that purpose.

Also, it is a complete fiction that an iPad can only be used for consumption and not content creation. You can edit photos, make slide shows, and draft memos on an iPad. I would not recommend a tablet as your primary work/office computer. But, for typical lightweight home productivity and content consumption, it would be fine for most people. Remember, folks on tech forms that post advice (me included) are typically not average users.

12. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Don't replace the current computer. Get an ipad and keep the current computer.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

For some people an iPad CAN replace a computer. I would agree that it doesn't compare to an iMac but if you do only the most basic of things you'll be fine.

An iPad is a great replacement computer for me as I do all my work at work and don't bring it home. The only things I do on my personal computer at home is read forums, browse the internet, listen to some music, watch some netflix play a couple facebook games and that's it (with the exception of gaming). An iPad can do all of that, easily.

I do PC game so obviously I have to keep a PC around. :D

You have to evaluate what YOU need from a computer, nobody else can tell you if it can replace a computer.

Edited to add: Also keep in mind a lot of people on this forum seem to be the photoshopping, music making, movie creating, programming etc etc type of people. Most people do not fall into that category so for THEM an iPad would not be a suitable computer replacement.

15. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys! Well, I know that an iPad wont do as much as a PC, but we really dont do much on it anyway. My mom just checks her facebook and email and eBay. I just go on facebook, watch videos and just surf the web.

----------

Yeah thats pretty much all the things we do :) The heaviest program I would run would be Garage band! Lol. Now thinking about it, theres nothing that I do that an iPad couldn't handle :)

16. ephemeralreason macrumors regular

ephemeralreason

Such sweeping over generalizations are useless. An iPad could replace a computer depending upon the particular users needs. So the correct answer is 'perhaps'.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One thing iPads don't do is store media -- you don't want the copy of your pictures, music, whatever, on your iPad to be your only copy. If you buy media from iTunes, you can supposedly redownload them whenever you want, but that's only as long as the publisher keeps their stuff online. I have some music I bought in iTunes that are no longer avaiable to download, and recently saw an article that mentioned some movies that were pulled from sale and could no longer be downloaded. Yes, there are ways to backup the media from iPads without a computer, but having a computer to store the media is still the most straightforward way to do it.

18. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

It really depends on what you want to use it for. With a bluetooth keyboard (not one of the tiny godawful cover-keyboards), I use the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and use the smart cover to keep the iPad upright and it works fantastically. However I do a lot of development, graphic design, and 3D modeling so just using the iPad alone is out of the question. But it is absolutely excellent for everything else.

19. Romac macrumors member

This. I tried the iPad as my computer thing a couple years back. It almost worked. Almost.

You will have a time where you will need to transfer or store a ton of data. A real computer is just better at it. There are certain files that are a flat out pain to download and move around and have work a rounds on ipad that you could just download on the computer and view right away. There's a ton of tedious websites (job applications, online forms, benefit information etc etc) that get annoying on a touch screen with no mouse.

Buy the iPads and love them, but keep that crappy pc for a few tasks for which it's better suited.

20. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your advice! That sounds great!! I think we'll have to keep her PC because its hooked up to a printer. I guess there's no way to print from an iPad?

21. rei101 macrumors 6502a

My mom had a PC laptop and she wanted an iPad, I gave her an iPad and then she wanted a Mac laptop.

Get her a used 15" in good shape, very basic. They are just going to check email and facebook.

Get the iMac for you.

I have two iPad 4 collecting dust, they are annoying. I rather this computer I am using right now, a 17" MBP.

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

You can pick up an AirPrint enabled printer for pretty cheap. Works fine straight from iOS.

I'd say go for it.

23. AbingdonBod macrumors newbie

I know people who had a computer but now only use their iPads for everything they do.

..... And you know frankly if my iPad had a TB of storage, had two USB sockets, and a few other standard I/O sockets, and ran OS Mavericks I wouldn't have bothered getting the MacBook Pro I bought last week.

It will only be a matter of time I think before it happens.

24. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thats a good idea! But, if I get one, Im sure she will want one too! Lol! I guess Ill just have to see where I am around Christmas time :) Hopefully I can afford two iMacs (maybe I can get my mom a refurbished model because she really doesn't do much on it) by Christmas :) If not, Ill get two iPads, keep my crappy laptop just in case, get something that I can print via iOS, get my mom a keyboard case and then call it a day! Lol!

----------

thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

25. chupachup macrumors 6502

You can do a lot more than that with an iPad.