Could an iPhone last 4 years

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shackler, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

I am a student and money is an issue so i want my next phone to last me through university, which is also what i am planning to do with my Macbook. So do you guys think its possible to keep the iphone for 4 yearsI know the iphone has amazing build quality, and the software capabilities are almost limitless. It has everything i want in a phone:
    amazing wed capabilities
    Amazing media player
    sync with my mac
    and everything else i want is in the app store (AIM, cycorder, iprocrastinate and tons of games)

So is there anything i am missing?

EDIT: I think i would have to replace the battery during those 4 years though.

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

correction: cycorder is in cydia which is only through jailbreak (which is worth it btw :D) so its not in the app store.

and yeah if you take care of it then you should have no problem making it last 4 years!

3. Doju macrumors 68000

It will easily. Though as you said you will definitely need to replace the battery.

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you treat it nice it should last that long.

5. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I got my iPhone on the very first day it came out, June 29th 07. Now almost one and a half years later it works the same as the day when I bought it. The only difference now is battery is not as good as it used to be. It still holds an excellent charge. Other than the battery everything works just fine.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The battery on my Launch Day first gen iPhone is still at least 90% of what is was when it was new.

I do believe an iPhone will last 4 years, but do consider AppleCare or homeowners/renters insurance for it. Repairs can be expensive, and don't forget that the whole face is a piece of *glass*.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It will last 4 years fine, I have iPods that lasted just as long, my green iPod mini is still working great :). Just a matter of you taking care of it, the battery in my mini still charges fine too, just not as great as when it was new, but definitely still usable.

My iPhone is a first generation one, and I plan to use this one until it stops working before I do any upgrades, since its still a great phone. it is not like a Mac where I need to upgrade it because it can't run new software, the iPhone can run all the apps I need it to run (and make calls)

8. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Quick OT question: how are you getting your browser user-agent data to be posted when you post from your iPhone??

9. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I want you to copy and paste this onto a sticky on your notebook and keep it there for 4 years. When you graduate from school, you are going to look at that statment and laugh! I'm not saying that it won't or shouldn't last you and be all you need, but 4 years from now, the tech is going to be so far past what it is now, it will be unbelievable.

That's my take on it anyway

He's posting from here. Yes, WAP versions are quicker, even on the iCandoeverythingPhone ;)

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Thanks, dude!! :)

11. Shackler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Thats true and i have thought about that especially getting closer to the end. i have heard of people keeping ipods, blackberries and computers that long so why not the iphone. plus. i have had a motorola v360 for over 2 years so an iphone should last longer.

another question. How do you add it to homeowners insurance?

12. michael31986 macrumors 68040

it will last, but idk how you could go 4 years lol

13. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Hey. How did you get that to show up like that? Wait now mines doing it too! We mist stop it from taking over! AAAAAAAAAA!

14. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

it will definitely last, heck you get a few years warranty with the thing, and then you can add more. they are just trying to get their money, if they thought it wouldn't last, they wouldn't have extended warranties. The question is, will YOU want it to last? I still have a PowerMac G3 that hasn't been plugged in in 6 months. Before that it was 2 years. It still runs GREAT, but it runs Powermac G3 great. It can't hold a candle to my MacPro quad. Are you gettin what I'm sayin?

I have a bit of experience with insurance, and before I get into it, I am totally biased and think insurance is a TOTAL scam that we are all required to have.

Now that is out of the way...

You probably don't even need to add it to your homeowners, there should be a small electronics clause in your policy. It may be written in as $1000, $500, whatever. Check to see if you have that first. You can call you insurance company, do not give them your name and just say I have this insurance plan with you, does it come with any small electronics protection or anything like that?

Now, the problem comes in. Say you do have insurance for your phone and it gets stolen. What is your deductible? Mine is $500. So that blows it right there, just buy a new iPhone and be done with it. Say your deductible is only $100. You would be WAY better off spending the extra Benjamen's to just buy a new one, because if you make a claim, you still have to pay the $100, AND your insurance will go up. Depending on the company, and the mood of your agent/rep, it could go up enough in one year to have made it cheaper to just buy the iPhone outright.

Basically, say you are paying $1000 for insurance. You make the claim, pay the $100 deductable for your phone. They raise your rates $125 for your next renewal. Now you are paying $1,125 for insurance. Since you already put in the $100, and now owe an extra $125, that's $225 you've paid in. but the kicker is, you have to pay that extra $125 a year forever (or until you get a break in your rates)

The lesson here is, don't claim anything on insurance unless it is a big ticket item. In the grand scheme of things, the iPhone is not a big ticket item. And never tell them your name if you are inquiring about if something will make your rates go up or about adding something, because once they pull up your account, they will know you are thinking of doing something that could raise your rates, and then they will. Scam, end of story.

15. franzmueller macrumors regular

Get a decent case for your iphone from day 1 and it should be fine .

Saludos

16. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

It will last 4 years, the hardest part though is going to be to try not to upgrade to the next iphone that comes out in those 4 years:)

17. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

Though my iPhone is only days old, I have a 1G nano that handles a heavy workload (3+ hours per day) and has damn near the same battery life it had on its purchase date in ... 2005.

I think the battery "issue" on the iPhone is overrated. Apple has been using what I'd consider good batteries since the 2G iPod/Ti Powerbook days.

Yes, you could get four years out of an iPhone ... though cash money says you'll be buying another device before then.

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I guess if you need 4 years out of an iPhone and money is that tight don't buy one. They haven't been out long enough that anybody could estimate their life expectancy.

19. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

it would be really hard for me to go 4 years w/ the same phone... jus cause id want the next gen.