Could anyone help me in making a decision??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjahshik32, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok, my question is that I'm trying to make a decision on keeping either or... the mac pro on my sig or a macbook pro 17" on my sig..

I guess I do love having both but I noticed that I only need one. As I work at home and I dont need the portability (its just nice to have the laptop able to carry around the house). But then 90% of the time I'm glued to the more powerful mac pro. Also I'd like to save 2k+ if I could.

Here are somethings:

I love the 17" macbook pro because its big like a desktop replacement and powerful enough to do pretty much everything I do everyday. Connected to the 23" ACD works very well but only problem is storage. I have over 2.5tb worth of things and I could move 1TB to my external fw800 hdd enclosure that I got from owc that is wonderful.. but if I choose to keep my mbp I'd have to buy 2 more external hdd and to keep switching from each external is kind of a pain..

Ok for the mac pro I love its sheer power/everything to be done alot faster and ability to have 16gb of ram, add optical drive in the future, and the 4 hdd treys that you can install.. but it is over kill for me as well... And I love it connected to the 23" ACD and sitting infront of it is awesome huge multitasking ability as well..

so its tearing me apart in what to do! portability vs. sheer power... but I only want to keep one and save $2.5k in the long run. I really love having both but I feel as if I'm just wasting money for owning 2 machine and that almost 100% of the time I could be using one and be fine with it.

Please any advice would be a huge help for me!

I am leaning on keeping the mac pro since it will last me the longest + more hdd ability... but I sure will miss that portability...

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

What's the issue with "switching" between external drives? Buy a few external USB drives and a USB hub, and they'll all connect to your laptop.

Or, connect the hub to your wireless base station and they'll all be on your computer wirelessly, even when roaming.

Since this is a business computer, you should get what's best for your business. If that's the Mac Pro, then maybe get an iPod Touch so you can surf the web on your couch and you won't miss the MBP so much :)

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It sounds like you're already leaning towards getting rid of the MBP, and I think that's the best decision.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess what I'm saying about it being a pain is that on the mac pro you have constant access to 3tb+ all the time where with a firewire 800 via macbook pro, I'd have to change the plugin for the fw800 among 3-4 other external hdd just to look for a file that I want or to use.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

thanks, I am very leaning towards that.. man but a laptop is very convenient and comfortable as well...

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like keeping the Mac Pro would be your best option.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have that takes up 2.5TB?

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah...what is taking up that much space?

you must edit video... video is the only thing i can think of that would take up that much space.

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeap, hd video and contents.