Could anyone recommend a good photo editing app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by maf2k8, Jun 16, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Could anyone recommend a good photo editing app for the iPad?

Looking to crop a few photos i have on the iPad and possibly add some effects or what not...

Thanks

2. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

3. shadowness macrumors regular

There are a few, filterstorm, photogene, photoforge, photopad etc., pick your poison!

4. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Photogene gets most of my use, but Filterstorm is really good too.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

6. thewiccaman macrumors member

thewiccaman

Photogene

+ another! Photogene all the way!

Not tried Filterstorm though it seems to be highly recommended.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do not forget iPhoto, which ships with every Mac, and GraphicConverter, the best nagware title on the Mac.

8. shadowness macrumors regular

yeah! but he was asking for some native ipad app advice!

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Could you or others post some pros/cons for each? Are there any good comparo reviews out there?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My bad:eek:

11. caubeck macrumors 6502

Photogene and Photopad but usually the former. I have others installed but don't use them.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I've narrowed it down to these two... can someone please articulate what they see as the strengths/weaknesses of each?

Are there any head-to-head reviews anyone has come across?

Thx!

13. shadowness macrumors regular

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thanks... Does anyone shoot RAW only? I understand the iPad apps can only work with the small embedded JPEG preview image bundled into the RAW file... are any photo editing apps actually able to convert the RAW image into a high-quality JPEG to work with?

15. shadowness macrumors regular

Nope! None available yet. Plus I don't think the ipad is powerful enough to do RAW conversions and such. Imagine the memory and processor requirement if I wanted to convert my 5Dmark ii raw images on my iPad!

16. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Actually what I've found is that the iPad will create a 2048x1360 pixel JPEG upon import of the RAW which is what the photo editing apps are working with. Hence, while you can't edit the RAW directly, you can at least edit a fairly high-res JPEG version of it.

17. Razeus macrumors 601

18. Stovepiper macrumors member

I own Filterstorm Pro and consider it in my top 5 best apps for the iPad. It has an intuitive interface that makes users of Lightroom or Aperture feel at home and all of the editing features you could reasonably expect. My only real qualm with it is the workflow of getting your edited photos out of Filterstorm and back on a computer. The various methods of transferring them currently are clunky at best and nonfunctional at worst (when working in bulk).

For me personally 99% of the time I don't even need to do much "editing" of the photos on the iPad. The thing that is useful for me is the ability apply metadata after a shoot. It's handy to browse through a large number of images, delete the bad ones, and tag star ratings to the keepers. This saves me time as I don't have to do that again in Aperture later on. I'd really like to have an app that applies the metadata directly to the photos on the camera roll (or in events) rather than have to "import" photos into Filterstorm then "export" them back out.

Actually, if Apple would just allow star ratings to be applied in the built in Photos app I'd be almost perfectly content.

19. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

just got photogene its really awesome!!! well worth the $2.99

20. ScoutDad macrumors member

Have you tried out the new photosmith app yet? It was just released and may do what you're looking for (although it only works with lightroom and not Aperture at present.

21. WickedStealthy macrumors member

Can someone tell me if these different apps support "Open In…” file sharing feature ?