Could Apple buy Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sellitman, May 10, 2008.

1. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

Apparently they are cash heavy. Their .Mac would be instantly upgraded. They would immediately over take MS in Searches. What do you think? Wouldn't it be a great marriage?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

First of all I don't think Apple could afford Yahoo! and I don't believe Yahoo would fit into Apple's business model as much as Microsoft's.

jon

3. sellitman thread starter macrumors regular

sellitman

Isn't SJ's business model to take over the free world? :D

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yahoo needs a lot of work on the inside. Not worth it for Apple to take that on plus it would be a lot of money.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I don't see why Apple would want to buy Yahoo. They are very different companies.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think that's the worst idea. Ever. :eek:

What's the point? Just because one company CAN buy another (in this case, Apple can't), why would they? You can propose any two companies to merge, or for one to buy the other, but it would be like Louis Vuitton buying Apple just because they both make nice shizzle.

7. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

apple should buy best buy.

is my local best buy the only one with an "apple shop" in it?

[​IMG]
    [not my image]

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Makes about as much sense as Microsoft buying Yahoo. I never did understand the attractiveness of that deal.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I felt it was a pretty good move on Microsoft if they had purchased them. It would help them be more competitive against Google.

jon

10. spooky mulder macrumors regular

no, my best buy has an Apple shop in it. In California.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But neither Microsoft nor Yahoo are notably competitive against Google. I never did see how combining their efforts had any real prospect of creating magic neither have alone.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

A month ago, none of our local stores had them. Now they all do.

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

No. Mine also has one.

14. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I humbly disagree. Microsoft thinks they can buy things and it'll instantly make them better. They have failed to advance with technology, especially the internet. They are desperately trying to hold on to something that's just not viable anymore.

Yahoo somehow missed the advertising boat, which is extremely perplexing to me. Their marriage would've been akin to 2 rocks sinking to the bottom of the sea.

In regards to Apple buying Yahoo, that's not a smart idea IMHO. Apple at its root, is a hardware company. Mac, iPhones, iPods, etc. (Yes, I realize they don't actually make any of the components). They are also a software company with their Pro Apps, iLife, OS X. The point is, Yahoo is an internet company that specializes predominately in search. The 2 companies have essentially nothing in common.

Again, this is just MHO.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Personal opinion is, No, they should not buy Yahoo. Never cared much for Yahoo, I was a fan of Northern Lights search engine before it shut down. These days, its google. I can't see Yahoo as a profit maker for Apple.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yahoo has nothing to offer apple, even if they could afford to buy it. Microsoft at least has other web technologies that the two companies would integrate together.

17. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Google: 45% Search Engine marketshare
    Yahoo: 25% Search Engine marketshare
    Microsoft: 10% Search Engine marketshare

Microsoft purchasing Yahoo would instantly almost triple their footprint/income in the sector and would be a worthwhile move.

Apple would only inherit a poorly run company.

Search engines are a science capable of grossing a lot of money for the operator. If Google didn't exist, Yahoo/Apple would probably be a brilliant marriage.

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Apple could by Yahoo with a loan (and they would with 100% certainty get given a loan), but they won't.

They generally go for smaller/interesting firms that most of us haven't really heard of before: PASemi, Fingerworks etc.

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Word. Yahoo is slowly sinking, it's just taking a while for investors and Yahoo itself to notice. They've slowly lost market share to Google, and the reason is that they stagnated, resting on their laurels, so to speak. Google continues to find new ways of implementing their technology, where as Yahoo was for so long content to just sit still (or almost still).

I don't think Apple would make a dumb mistake like that... Apple has their own agenda, Yahoo would slow them down. Apple doesbetter in partnerships with other companies (like Google) anyway...

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree with you. Buying a dinosaur isn't going to make you more competitive. MS would just be buying Yahoo's small marketshare, which isn't really changing much, is it? MS is already doing a wonderful job staying stagnant. Why buy Yahoo to achieve the same thing?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My feeling is that, irrespective of the other party's polish or flaws, Yahoo is a millstone, and will drag any suitor to the depths. I think their situation today is like Apple's was at the worst point: all they really own is a strong name. Their only way out of this is something like what Apple did -- to make a series of game-changing moves that redefine themselves.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exactly. The name of the game is technology. Both Microsoft and Yahoo have been in this game longer, but they're falling further behind because Google beat them on ideas and implementation. Nothing in Microsoft's history of online efforts suggests that they know how to fix Yahoo.

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yahoo has nothing to offer. The only revenue they get is from ads in Yahoo search, and Google is taking more of their market share every day.