Could Apple enter console market via Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cclloyd, Mar 2, 2013.

1. cclloyd, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013

cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Did anyone think that Apple could enter the console market successfully if they start with the Apple TV?

Open up the Apple TV to allow 3rd party developers to make apps, namely games. Have those games use iPad/iPhone for controllers. With this start, people would still see it as an Apple TV, but with some games that are exclusive to Apple TV. Users are now playing games on their TV. (Even though some already are, like MetalStorm)

After users see the device as a gaming console and home theater, they could start to make their own games, and physical controllers, and would hopefully get market share of gaming consoles.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Unless Apple can offer a revolutionary approach and gain entry into the console market, why would it want to walk down the same path that Microsoft is doing with its Windows 8 phone approach?

MSFT has no realistic shot in gaining a foothold in the saturated iOS and Android market, and yet it's dumping millions and offering nothing special to attract existing users to make the switch.

3. ben824 macrumors regular

Well before I was unsure but after seeing the new Sony PS4 announced and they are going to move to cloud gaming and new games will be downloaded instead of purchased from a store in disc format this could open up a new market for Apple. If they were to expand the Apple TV unit to download apps and more importantly gaming apps and allow the ability to sync via bluetooth a wireless controller then the possibility of Apple TV gaming could be very possible. There are already so many developers for iOS games that moving them to work on Apple TV shouldn't be too much trouble and I am sure many of the developers would jump at the chance to capture that market. If the market really takes off I would bet that big game console game developers would make iOS versions of their games.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

Unless apple changes the Apple TV to use much more serious hardware (not ARM chips) then it will never be a serious gaming platform on par with Xbox and Playstation. They probably will be opening an App Store for it and will get some games that use iPhones and iPads as controllers and who knows maybe Logitech or someone will make a Bluetooth controller for it but I don't see apple jumping into the hardcore gaming market... I would rather see them invest in disrupting the cable industry and sticking it to Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon.

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Apple could get into the market if they would get off there arse. If you can put 16gb memory in an iphone, don't see why it cannot be done in an apple tv. Wouldn't be that hard. No way would I buy a actually full apple tv. The little box will do for hooking up to any tv. OUYA, WD and others are starting to get a foot hold and if apple doesn't get moving, they will loose.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

I agree that Apple is likely to lose out on a potential winner in the :apple:TV if they don't introduce something sooner than later (software update with 3rd party app store would do the trick). Rumors have it that Microsoft is going to release a set top version of the xbox to compete with the :apple:TV in addition to the new xbox gaming console and MS has much better content deals in place right now than Apple does. I hope this is the year Apple offers some awesome new features to :apple:TV.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If Apple got into the "console" market, I don't see them competing for the "serious" gamer. With iOS, Apple isn't targeting a niche market (i.e serious gamers), instead they are targeting the 80% of the "normal" population. I would imagine they would go the route of iOS games on your television. My guess is that they would compete against the OUYA. Frankly the world is going portable, so I really doubt the market for a console will be there in 5 years or so (much like the desktop is a dying market).

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple likely won't try to enter into a traditional console war because you've got Sony and Microsoft putting out decent products for the high-end people and Nintendo creating a not-too-bad console for everybody else.

But I'm sure Apple could create an App Store for Apple TV and make tons of money off games the likes of Angry Birds. Consoles are trying to move toward downloading games, but the files are huge and you've got a ton of money invested in the disc market. Apple has no existing disc partners to upset with downloadable video games, so it would politically have a much easier time.

I really think an SDK for Apple TV would cater more toward things like Netflix and HBO Go, but I'm sure there are plenty of game developers who would love to break into that market and could easily transfer some iOS games to Apple TV. The only major issue would be a standardized controller.