Could Apple move to a round face?

mrklaw

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
The new series 4 seems to have noticably less sharp corners, and the watch faces themselves seem to have updated to have curved corner complications - eg the simple face used to have nice horizontal text but now has curved text - I assume to avoid hitting the curved corners of the screen.

Could this lead to a watch with a round face, or do you think they'll always stick with rectangular?

Personally I'm fine with rectangular but I would like them to change the simple watch face complications back how they were before

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
The new series 4 seems to have noticably less sharp corners, and the watch faces themselves seem to have updated to have curved corner complications - eg the simple face used to have nice horizontal text but now has curved text - I assume to avoid hitting the curved corners of the screen.

Could this lead to a watch with a round face, or do you think they'll always stick with rectangular?

Personally I'm fine with rectangular but I would like them to change the simple watch face complications back how they were before
I was hoping Apple would have moved to the round face for Series 4. I love the look of the Samsung S3 watches with the movable dial ring and the always on display. I am very happy iwth my Series 4 but would have been VERY happy witha round face.

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Didn't Apple say at one point with the series 0 that round didn't work because of web page architecture? They will definitely come out with a round watch once they milk everything they can out of a square. Just like Jobs said that Apple would never make a big iPhone and guess what happened there?...;)

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
There’s nothing stopping Apple from making a circular watch. Any technical impediments are fully within their ability to solve.

The problem with a round watch though is that round Watches are perfect suited to displaying data that repeats in cycles (eg time).

Most information like notifications, text, heart rates, emails etc etc aren’t well suited to a circular display and would have wasted space in their UI. A rectangular watch is a better choice for that type of data (and combinations of that type of data), and that’s why the Apple Watch is the way it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.