Could Apple remove ports on new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aditya_S, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Is there a possibility that Apple will remove some ports on the new MBP like MagSafe and USB 3 and replace them with USB C?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Yes, though there've been no reliable reports of it happening.

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Well if the rumors are true I imagine they will be re-designing the MBP and we could see them drop ports for thinness but then the question is, is it too soon to do that on a "Pro" machine. Apple seems to think the laptop experience should be as portable as possible with a desktop environment that you can pull out of your bag.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Would seem logical for the 2016 MBP to have 2 X USB A 3.0 and 2 X USB C ports, replacing the current TB2 ports, equally what Apple does is entirely another matter. If the obsession for physical & aesthetic thinness dominates the new design (if any) then it`s pretty much given that USB C will be the only viable solution.

Personally I hope for the former solution as, moving everything to USB C will be a hassle, especially as the same peripherals will still need to connect to older Mac`s with USB A. Yes pretty much everything can be accessed wirelessly these days equally I have no inclination to replace absolutely everything just to dance to Apple`s new tune...

I most definitely want the inclusion of TB3 over USB C on the new MacBook Pro, however not at the cost of the total exclusion of USB A, as we are still a way off the standards general uptake across the market, and like it or not the Mac is still only a small aspect of the PC industry albeit growing healthily.

Q-6

5. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible for MagSafe to be removed because from what I've heard it is the best charging port for a mobile device and doesn't disconnect when bumping in to it.

6. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Apple can do as they please, but since they introduced USB C with the Macbook it does seem a likely contender for a Pro redesign. You gotta admire their security, they can keep their secrets.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- One thing I think we can count on is that if Apple removes the Thunderbolt 2 ports, they'll do it by replacing them with Thunderbolt 3 ports, not merely with USB-C ports. And, of course, TB 3 includes USB-C.

- Sure it's possible. I doubt very much they will, though, at least this time around.

8. Queen6, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Truthfully only Apple knows their intentions. USB C "off the top of my head" is rated to 100W which is enough to power the current 15" Retina MacBook Pro. It`s entirely feasible that due to Intel`s 6th generation CPU`s Apple can lower the power requirements of the next model, making the exclusion of Mag Safe more likely.

I think one way to look at is; Apple is undoubtedly going to release a similar design of MBP that we now see in the 12" Retina MacBook. Depending on how much they trim the chassis will very much determine the ability to include USB A & Mag Safe, equally Apple may well simply want to follow the same design ethos as the 12" Retina MacBook maximising all internal space for batteries at the cost of ports, in which case we may only see as few as two USB C ports.

Apple`s has long since stopped directly serving, shall we say high tier niche sectors, and seeks the mid-ground of the regular consumer, as it results in better sales. So from Apple`s perspective offering 2/4 of the most flexible nonproprietary ports will be more than enough for any user in our "wireless world"

Really same as ever speculation & ramblings...

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---
    Think this one is given, although the physical configuration and numbers of ports remain unknown, unless Apple really obsesses about physical size, weight and perceived size, then we may be stuck waiting on Kaby Lake as TB3 will be incorporated into the CPU package, not and external controller (Alpine Ridge). I doubt this as speculation is building for a new release of the rMBP in the summer.

Q-6

9. pewkis macrumors member

I initially imagine Apple replacing all current ports with USB-C (USB 3.0 to USB-C x2, TB2 to USB-C+TB3 x2, MagSafe 2 to USB-C x1, etc.). It'll probably appear strange at first, but USB-C was designed to "do it all" in a slim form factor after all.

In 2012, they did refresh the non-retina (older) models with updated legacy ports + new hardware alongside the rMBPs, so we may see that again next generation for users who aren't ready for an all-USB-like era of notebooks.

10. treekram macrumors 6502a

I would be surprised if they didn't replace the 2 Thunderbolt ports with 2 USB-C ports. Intel has a chip, "Alpine Ridge" that costs $8.55 list, supports 2 USB-C ports, takes 2.2W, is about 11mm square. The 2 ports can be USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 - the USB-C is the standard connector for both. The big drawback is that it only supports DisplayPort 1.2. The thing about Thunderbolt 3 is that while there are currently reasonably priced DisplayPort adapters (about $20). But, as of a few days ago, there was one upcoming Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter on Amazon and that was going to cost $81 when released. It will be a bummer if they don't move forward from Thunderbolt 2 or have USB-C that only supported one of the two standards.

11. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

I doubt they'd put USB C over thunderbolt 3 ports, its the same shape and offers USB-C compatibility - win win.

I expect we'll see:

- Magsafe
    - 2 x TB3
    - 1 x USB 3.0 (though I wouldn't be surprised this didn't make the cut)
    - HDMI
    - 3.5mm headphone jack.

Would suit me fine.

12. treekram macrumors 6502a

Again, both Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 can use USB-C. USB 3.1 can use the other standard USB connectors. USB-C is the standard connector for TB3 and I don't know if TB3 will be offered with other connectors. Intel has a chip for 2 ports that allows you to use either TB3 or USB 3.1 from a USB-C port. Of course, Apple may choose not to use that chip and do something else.