could apple use saurik's server against us?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by lilchub101, May 26, 2010.

1. lilchub101 macrumors member

So I back up all my blobs I love being jailbroken. But I just got a replacement ipad from apple because I had some problems, I love their customer service! I'm about to wipe the old one so its no longer jailbroken. I understand that they can use a peace of software called (I could be wring here) usb behavior to see if its been jailbroken or not. Once again I don't care not a big deal to me. But I was just thinking they could look up any Idevice that has been jailbroken by seeing if the blobs are on the server right? I'm not saying don't use the server It has saved my a$$ a few times just a thought I guess.

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

If you never jailbroke, but upgraded or restored on a computer whose hosts file was edited to point to saurik's server, the device's shsh blobs will be cached by saurik -- so the fact that a device's blobs are on saurik's server doesn't necessarily mean the device was ever jailbroken.

Don't know about usb behavior.

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

The USB thing is a myth, there can really be no way if it's been restored to check.

As for the blobs, I guess they can but Saurik will have to give to to them/court order whatever. Even then, What will Apple do? Mass-ban everyone's iPhones/iPads?

No chance, not everyone uses Jailbreaks to get free stuff. I read somewhere than the jailbroken iPhones are somewhere in the region of 10 percent, so that's millions of customers they could potentially lose by not offering support, replacements for faulty hardware etc, although under no obligation as it's going against Apple TOS. :cool:

4. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Also, what about people who buy used iPhones that had previously been jailbroken? Their blobs could be cached even if they don't know the first thing about jailbreaking.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

usb thing is a lie. also you can get the blobs there without a jb.