Could be an unusual request-pics of 17 inch Hi Res and normal resoultion plus 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sweetie81, Sep 16, 2007.

1. sweetie81 macrumors regular

Hiya guys.

After years of waiting I think I've the money to buy an MBP. Every time I'd nearly the money I'd to spend it for repairs and other stuff.

Well I've been using my laptop with windows 80% at home and 20% outdoors. The quandrary I'm in is that I don't know what to buy. The 2.2GHz 15.4 Inch which would be the same as my notebook but with a slightly higher resolution or the 17 inch.

It's damn expensive and I don't have got a clue what to do. My 15 is great but whenever I sit in front of my 19 inch TFT it's fantastic. So having a dual screen solution on the desk might be ok but if I wouldn't need one...

So what I'm interested in are pics of the 15.4 inch model and the 17 inch (normal and Hi-Res resolution).

Would be great if you guys could help me with this special request. Cheers!

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Ah! Yes this would help me as well.

Especially people with Indesign and Lightroom :)

Cheers!

3. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Do you mean screen caps or a shot of the screen via camera?

4. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

Screen caps should do. I'm just interested how small the icons etc. are. My 15.4 is ok but using it 80% in the office I'm not quite sure to buy a 15 MBP plus a new TFT or a 17 inch.

Then the 17 inch offers a higher resolution and the HD display. My prob is that no dealer has the 17 inch here, somehow, dunno why.

Is the HD Display hard to look at? I don't wanna have to get a loupe to read my mails or so.

So the 15 inch has 1400x900 which is a bit more than my 1280x800 so I don't expect any markable differences there.

A comparison between those two MBP 17'' would be nice. Can't believe that the HD display is good to look at :confused:

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Ok, here's a shot of the 15.4 MBP SR (LED) desktop (no windows) at 1440x900:

Attached Files:

6. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers! :) Looks fantastic and nice background you've.

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Have? :D Thanks, thats just a picture of an Orchestra I played in during High School, not that long ago......

Edit: Oh, and Your Welcome!

8. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys. No one with a 17''? I'm still not sure whether to go for a 15 inch or a 17 inch.

My curent notebook is used 80% on my desk. However, the price difference is still very high. So I'd get a 22'' widescreen lcd an connect it.

Damn!

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

You can change the size of the icons, and (hopefully) Leopard will introduce Resolution Independence, so menu bars etc will be the same size as well.

10. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds handy. When a friend showed me his laptop I struggled to read anything! He was so proud of his 15 inch with 1900xsomething. I mean how can people want high def resolution for a 15 inch. I tried to set the screen resolution to 1600xxxx when I'd this old monitor. I barely couldn't read anything!

So I wondered if a 17 inch would be enough for me. But now I think a 15 inch like mine plus an external monitor would be better and at least cheaper. If I can use the MBP with its lid closed with an external connected via DVI, I'd be fine.

Anyway, a pic of a 17'' display like compuguy1088 postet would be nice.

11. Analbarbiturate macrumors member

12. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mate.

Do you have this in real so I can see it in full? Anyway the icons look pretty small.

13. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Just had to show mine with some icons on the desktop. It's 17" at 1920x1200... It's definitely not that bad at all ;) If you want the actual, full-blown screenshot, get me an e-mail address.

14. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

I was able to put all three screens together for comparison in an Apple Store yesterday. All MBP's 15" and 17" and 17" HD. Using Aperture and selecting a photo of a surfer in the foreground with only water in the background, what I observed was, the surfer appeared exactly the same in size and proportion in all three computer's screens. However the 15" screen cropped out some of the background so that there was less of the water on the sides and a bit of the top of his head was cut off. I could zoom out to recapture the background in one screenshot but it made the surfer slightly smaller as it would in any of the three screens. So, what you get with a 17" and 17" hd is the ability to see more of a wide screen image in one screenshot without reducing the size of the individual parts of the image or zooming out on the image to see it all. I opted to go with the 15" model because I did not feel like I was missing anything. I don't know if this helps or not. I was in the same position as you and could not decide which model to pick. What I found is that it was very helpful to go into a store and look at the three next to one another. If you can not go to and Apple store just go to any store with computers like CompUSA or Best buy and compare the different sized screens. I felt that the 17" while very nice, was a bit too big for laptop use and not big enough to actually replace a nice cinema screen. The 15" seems to offer the best overall value and still does pretty much everything the 17" does very nicely. I think however if you can not get access to a cinema screen or other desktop screen there is a valid argument for getting the 17". If you have access to a table top monitor, the 15" IMHO is the way to go.

15. sweetie81 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi and thanks a lot scottyfrombi :)

Actually I'm living in Germany and have no Apple Store nearby or bestbuy. Instead I've Gravis and Macsystems but both didn't have the 17'' model :( So I've to rely on your pics.

That's my problem. Normally, the 15'' should be it. I'm fine with my now and an external monitor would be great and both together cheaper than the 17''. Still I can't decide.

Is it allowed to make a new thread where you guys will vote for me which model to take? :D

16. Analbarbiturate macrumors member

It's real. The 17" is great. At first I thought things were small, coming from using a 15" Macbook Pro. I now prefer the 17" hi-res much better. The 15" looks strange to me.

A 15" and external monitor is not a bad idea. I personaly didn't want the extra clutter and I still wanted to have the option of portability, so I bought the 17".

[​IMG]

17. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I guess I'm just used to the resolution of the 15 inch, because my gaming rig has a samsung lcd thats widescreen with the same resolution. I actually kind of like having two monitors more room for windows :D. Though as of now, I've never used a monitor with the native resolution of 1920 X 1200, so I could be missing out....

18. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Where can I get that background from?

19. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I love my 17'' high-res MBP!

I've owned a 12'' PB, 13'' MB, and 15'' MBP in the past and I find the 17 just as portable as any of the others after a week of use. I also used to own a 20'' C2D iMac and now a 30'' ACD and I find the 17'' high res to be my most productive machine to date yet. As mentioned earlier, its just as portable as any other laptop and yet has enough oomph and screen real-estate to replace a 20-24'' desktop.

To me, its unequivocally the best single mac in Apple's line-up!

20. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn