Could be blocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by totoskillato, Aug 9, 2011.

1. totoskillato macrumors newbie

hi all..i have an ihpone 4 16 gb payed 170 euro with an orange subscription. for some reasons i couldnt pay anymore the subscription. what would they do now? they will block my line till i restart the payment? im scared they will block the phone but i payed it. is it possible? thanks in advance for ur help.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm sure you could call up Orange and ask them to suspend your line until you can pay. But the phone won't be functional.

You don't pay, your phone doesn't work. You pay, your phone works.

Although, I don't think I'm answering your question correctly. Try rephrasing?

3. totoskillato thread starter macrumors newbie

yes u're right...i mean if is it possible to unlock it (with ultrasnow i read) and use another sim. and orange could report to block it via imei? (sorry but i dont have any technical knowledge)

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Depending on what version of iPhone you have and what version of iOS you are running, you can unlock using Ultrasnow. That will let you use your iPhone on another carrier other than Orange. (I think Orange might also do it for you themselves if you ask/are done with your contract?)

No, once you unlock it, they can't lock it back up.

5. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I think we're kind of missing a big point which is, Has the OP finished his/her contract term? If not and you skip on payments that phone is the property of Orange, them cutting you off from the network is the least of your problems.

6. totoskillato thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i will ask to them if it's possible. and are u sure once it will be unlocked apple could not lock it again?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

If it's factory unlocked Apple will not turn it off! the carrier will turn it off if you don't pay the bill. other carriers will see the fact you owe money and might deny you.

non factory unlocks Ultrasn0w involve certain firmware baseband and requires you fallow certain rules to keep/ (nothing to do with Apple)

Your carrier can still turn your phone off if you don't pay the bill. ;)

Can I unlock Click Me!

8. totoskillato thread starter macrumors newbie

no the contract term is not finished yet. i wrote i couldnt pay anymore and what kind of situation could happen.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No matter what you do, your carrier (And possibly even other carriers) will deny you service if you have not paid your bill. Regardless of if your phone is unlocked or not.

No, apple can't lock it back up. Just don't do a software-update from iTunes (You are free to sync and backup).

Unlock is defined as using a phone on a carrier that it is not originally sold for. Say, you unlock a phone on Orange, you could use it on O2, T-Mobile, etc. That is only if the carrier allows you to have service. If you don't pay your bill, the carrier will stop the service on their end to prevent you from accessing it, and at that point, no matter what you do (Other than pay your bill), you won't have service. Even if you unlock, you still have to pay your bill to your carrier each month.

EDIT: If your contract term is not finished yet, you are not allowed to leave them. If you can't pay, no matter what you do, you can't have a phone with service. I'm not familiar with Europe's way of handling things, but here in the US, you can pay an ETF (Early Termination Fee), and get out of your contract by paying ~$175 - $10 for every month into your contract.

If you can not afford to pay your monthly bill anymore, the best solution would be to tell your carrier to suspend your account. No matter what you do, you won't have service if you don't pay your bill.

10. totoskillato thread starter macrumors newbie

it was very helpful mate. really appreciate that. ty a lot.

11. androiphone macrumors 65816

you dont say anything about the contract? how far are you in? and for how long is the contract for?

I don't know exactly OP where you are in europe but generally what will happen is if you do nothing orange will cancel your contract, therefore giving you no service, (this will totally trash your credit rating) they will then sell your debt to a debt collection company who will contact you for payment of the outstanding ballance of the contract plus their fees, if you don't work out an agreement with them to pay off your debt they will get a court order and will come and take property to the value of the debt plus costs.

what you need to do before all that happens is call up orange and tell them the situation they may come to some sort of agreement which may include lowering the cost of your contract per month (ie droping you down a tariff by lowering your mis/texts).
    they may also offer you to send in the handset and have the contract ended, technically the handset is your property as it is classed as a 'gift of contract' (ie you take out this contract and you get this iphone for only this price) therefore they do have no legal right to take the phone off you or to block the IMEI.

BUT if you are having trouble paying the contract then I would strongly suggest you take steps to get yourself into a situation that you can afford to carry on paying the contract or if need be buy yourself out of it, this could very well include selling the phone for extra money.

I think you will have to accept that you cannot afford to have an iphone at this time.