Could discount and limited availability indicate Watch 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by VSG, Mar 4, 2016.

1. VSG macrumors regular

Hi there!

Here in Germany discounts on Apple products are hard to come by. Those on the Watch even harder.

For a few days now, one of the biggest electronics stores, Media Markt, has been offering a huge discount on the Watch Sport (70 € on the 38mm, 80 € on the 42 mm). And several models are "out of stock".
    Same goes for Gravis an Apple Reseller - popular Sports models are either "low on supply" or "unavailable".

Could this indicate that there will be a Watch 2 announcement coming after all?
    Any thoughts?

Best regards!

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Apple March event will reveal Apple watch bands, not the Watch 2.

3. VSG thread starter macrumors regular

Do we know or do we think we know due to all the rumors?

I'm just curious - because at this discount, I'd be very interested in the Watch. :)

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Think we know. It is a pure guess.

Instead of stating something as an absolute, as though their information is fact, I wish folks would state it is their opinion. And then give their confidence level and a basis for their opinion.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Best Buy, for example, offered $100 discount on the AW timed around Christmas and again around Valentine's Day. That indicates they're loss leader items for the retailer.

The low availability in your case might be due to more people buying it due to the discount.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think the discounts are due to the watch not selling quite as well as Apple expected and they are giving some retailers "incentives" to help them move inventory

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That doesn't make sense with the $100 off sale timed only to coincide with Christmas and Valentine's Day, and this points more strongly to their being loss leaders for retailers such as Best Buy. Products selling poorly (such as some of the tablets) usually get a permanent price cut in order to drive the existing inventory.

8. Newtons Apple, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not agree. Loss leader? LOL!

So you think these stores are cutting the price of the AW to attract people into the store to buy other items? That is crazy. Apple offered these retailers "incentive" to sell these watches for them and it allows Apple not to have to do it on their own site. I can not see people going to Bestbuy to save money on the Apple Watch and many of them coming home with a new tv or appliance. There is no way there is enough money in the AW for these retailers to sell them for $100 off without Apple helping. It is the same reason you only see $100 off and not $50 or $75 as it is really an authorized discount by Apple to,sell watches without hurting it brand by doing it on their own site.

How much profit do you think Bestbuy makes on a sport model AW if they absorb the entire $100 discount? LOL!

9. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I have a slight agreement with Jay - people get curious about the Watch when they see it on the front page of the Best Buy or other store ads so they feel "maybe" a slight curiosity to see the watch in person. Then, they buy if they like or just do some walking around and possibly buy other items at Best Buy. It's a pretty common practice, but won't disagree with either of you. The Apple Watch remains in the top 5 Google search results so people are curious and they see a "sale" so they check it out and that generates foot traffic for the store even if the person doesn't buy the watch.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly. A loss leader item has to be something that generates a lot of interest or it won't do much in driving foot traffic to the retailer. The fact that the $100 off sale isn't permanent and occurs only twice (timed around Christmas and VD) suggests this.