Could do with help migrating 4 years worth of texts from Android to iOS

iamnotme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
SW Ontario, Canada
I thought about posting this in the iOS section but this is more iPhone specific so here it goes.
I just got an SE, my first iPhone after nearly 10 years of android-ing. I would like to migrate my SMS messages from my S6 to my new phone. When setting up I tried the migration assist but it didn't work. They just sat for an hour "setting" up and I'm not worried about importing anything else.

Thanks

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
I thought about posting this in the iOS section but this is more iPhone specific so here it goes.
I just got an SE, my first iPhone after nearly 10 years of android-ing. I would like to migrate my SMS messages from my S6 to my new phone. When setting up I tried the migration assist but it didn't work. They just sat for an hour "setting" up and I'm not worried about importing anything else.

Thanks
It's not going to be possible to move your texts to your iPhone. You're best off exporting them to your computer.

Comment

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I use a program called Wondershare Mobil Transfer. I can and did hook up a couple of phones( android ) and transferred all my wife's sms text messages into her new phone. It will work with an Iphone also I believe. I used my MacBook Pro and downloaded the Wondershare Mobil Transfer app. I think I might have paid something for it, but I don't remember. I then plugged both phones into my MBP and it identified the phones and you have a menu to check off what you want transferred. You have to have USB debugging allowed on your android phone. The program tells you how to do it. Good luck. It was the only program that worked to get the messages transferred. The guys in the store with their equipment couldn't do it. Good luck.

Comment

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It's not going to be possible to move your texts to your iPhone. You're best off exporting them to your computer.
Not true. Move to iOS does messages.

Erase your iPhone from Settings, General, Reset, then download the move to iOS app to your android phone. When you get to the apps and data screen during iPhone set up, choose "move from android" and it'll do the rest for you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/switch-to-iphone/

It's seriously the easy, and its baked right into iOS 9. Why has no-one suggested this yet?

Comment

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Not true. Move to iOS does messages.

Erase your iPhone from Settings, General, Reset, then download the move to iOS app to your android phone. When you get to the apps and data screen during iPhone set up, choose "move from android" and it'll do the rest for you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/switch-to-iphone/

It's seriously the easy, and its baked right into iOS 9. Why has no-one suggested this yet?
Maybe because OP stated that it didn't work?

I would try again that migration assistant as it seems the easiest way to do it. Maybe try to restore your texts only at first then the rest of the content?

Comment

iamnotme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
SW Ontario, Canada
Comment

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I guess I've never really understood why folks would want to keep months/years of old text messages
I'm sure there are good reasons, I've just never needed it

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.