Could do with help migrating 4 years worth of texts from Android to iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamnotme, Apr 1, 2016.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

I thought about posting this in the iOS section but this is more iPhone specific so here it goes.
    I just got an SE, my first iPhone after nearly 10 years of android-ing. I would like to migrate my SMS messages from my S6 to my new phone. When setting up I tried the migration assist but it didn't work. They just sat for an hour "setting" up and I'm not worried about importing anything else.

Thanks

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

3. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

It's not going to be possible to move your texts to your iPhone. You're best off exporting them to your computer.

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I use a program called Wondershare Mobil Transfer. I can and did hook up a couple of phones( android ) and transferred all my wife's sms text messages into her new phone. It will work with an Iphone also I believe. I used my MacBook Pro and downloaded the Wondershare Mobil Transfer app. I think I might have paid something for it, but I don't remember. I then plugged both phones into my MBP and it identified the phones and you have a menu to check off what you want transferred. You have to have USB debugging allowed on your android phone. The program tells you how to do it. Good luck. It was the only program that worked to get the messages transferred. The guys in the store with their equipment couldn't do it. Good luck.

5. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Not true. Move to iOS does messages.

Erase your iPhone from Settings, General, Reset, then download the move to iOS app to your android phone. When you get to the apps and data screen during iPhone set up, choose "move from android" and it'll do the rest for you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/switch-to-iphone/

It's seriously the easy, and its baked right into iOS 9. Why has no-one suggested this yet?

6. Jay43 macrumors member

Maybe because OP stated that it didn't work?

I would try again that migration assistant as it seems the easiest way to do it. Maybe try to restore your texts only at first then the rest of the content?

7. iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess I've never really understood why folks would want to keep months/years of old text messages
    I'm sure there are good reasons, I've just never needed it