Could everyone stop saying they have OCD about their phones?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PNutts, Dec 15, 2015.

1. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

At the risk of going to Wasteland, being obsessed with a small flaw or keeping your phone perfect is not OCD. OCD would be checking your screen for scratches many times in one sitting, to the point you life is negatively affected (being late, being rude, impeding traffic, not doing anything else for extended periods of time). Again, it's not checking your screen for scratches for five minutes. It's checking your screen, confirming no scratches, then checking it again. Lather, rinse, repeat this as many times as it takes to bother you whether it's three times or 50 or more. I'm obviously not a professional but I know a little about it. Depending on the responses I'll share.

According to NIMH here's the definition of OCD:

Everyone double checks things sometimes. For example, you might double check to make sure the stove or iron is turned off before leaving the house. But people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) feel the need to check things repeatedly, or have certain thoughts or perform routines and rituals over and over. The thoughts and rituals associated with OCD cause distress and get in the way of daily life.

The frequent upsetting thoughts are called obsessions. To try to control them, a person will feel an overwhelming urge to repeat certain rituals or behaviors called compulsions. People with OCD can't control these obsessions and compulsions. Most of the time, the rituals end up controlling them.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm with you man. Drives me nuts but I've given up saying anything because it's just become common terminology around here. At the risk of offending anyone (which I'm not intending on doing), it's kind of like the "R" word that everybody throws around loosely to describe something with which they don't agree.

3. PNutts thread starter macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't think I'm familiar with the "R" word. :)

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's off the subject and I don't feel like getting a talkin'-to from the mods or having the conversation moved to PRSI so we'll keep it that way.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Sounds like your are OCD about the use of the acronym OCD.

6. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I prefer CDO, as the letters must be alphabetized. :)

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I think everyone is getting tired of the politically correct speech thing. If someone does not like the term OCD, they should just move on. Plenty of other threads to read here.

8. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

9. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

10. Skika macrumors 68030

Okay, so what term should we use then? Autism?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the issue is the OP is tired that many people create threads stating they have OCD and they don't like thing about their phones because of it. Many times that can be attributed to something other then the clinical definition of OCD.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Anally Retentive is probably a more accurate term

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I was pointing out that I am tired of people correcting others descriptions including OCD.

14. lordhamster macrumors 6502

de·no·ta·tion
    ˌdēnōˈtāSHən/
    noun
    1. the literal or primary meaning of a word, in contrast to the feelings or ideas that the word suggests.
      "beyond their immediate denotation, the words have a connotative power"
      • the action or process of indicating or referring to something by means of a word, symbol, etc.

vs.

con·no·ta·tion
    ˌkänəˈtāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.
      "the word “discipline” has unhappy connotations of punishment and repression"
      synonyms: overtone, undertone, undercurrent, implication, hidden meaning, nuance,hint, echo, vibrations, association, intimation, suggestion, suspicion,insinuation

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Not the same. We're really getting into "prescriptive" vs. "descriptive" grammar here.

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

OCD is a clinically diagnosable disease. You can't have it a little. It's like any other disease. You either have it or you don't.

I believe people say they are OCD about their phones because they can't think of the word obsessive.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think it's because we're careless and hyperbolic speakers.

How many times in our lives have we said, "I'm starving!" No. There are people all over the world who are starving, but MRF members are not.

It's not that we don't know the words, we're just dramatic.

18. rockitdog macrumors 68020

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

2015, the year everyone is upset by everything. Improper use od the term "OCD" is the next big thing.

I get that it's imporoperly used. And I even think people are aware of that, mostly. It's certainly within your right to request change if it effects you that much, but really, I think there is too much of this on the internet and in life in general these days.

Slight tangent, I can;t wait to hear about how Borat's return causes people unending pain. Not personally a huge fan of the guy either way, but I commend him for coming back in this climate. Gotta be like jumping in a prahna tank with raw meat strapped to your genitals.

20. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

I need a trigger warning for this kind of micro aggression. You've offended me because I was not prepared to read your message.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, @PNutts it really annoys me as well. Just like everyone who uses the word "gate" to describe any sort of issue/problem with their iPhone or iPad.

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Who cares...I agree the term OCD is misused a lot, but this forum isn't the place to argue that.

23. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

OCD-Gate?

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

OP - You are correct. It is not OCD that people have, its OCPD. Obsessive compulsive personality disorder. Unlike OCD, someone can have very mild symptoms of OCPD. I am OCPD of keeping my car and my electronic devices clean and clear of clutter. But I don't care if my house is cluttered.

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sure, they could. Is everyone (not just MR users but people in general) going to stop misusing it because of this thread? No.