Could I ask for a replacement?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colin27, Apr 22, 2013.

1. colin27 macrumors newbie

Hello, long time pc owner, new to apple. Just bought my first apple, the new Imac with the 680mx card, received on March 16th. I installed steam and was playing counterstrike, not a vey graphic intensive game. After 3 weeks of ownership, I got on and about 10 minutes into gaming suddenly this intense lag came in and made it impossible to play anymore. I could barely move the mouse cursor over to close the game and after that all my applications would lag for about 10 minutes. Loading an application that would open instantly would take around 5 seconds to load. I looked at the activity monitor and noticed my system was at 70% usage with no programs running. I bought an optical drive and another game and had the exact same problem so it wasn't a software issue. Spent some time trying to figure what could be wrong then called Support. Apple support is great, very quick to call me back and try to help. They could not figure out the problem over the phone, and I have an appointment to take it in this morning.

I am curious if i could ask for a replacement? I have only owned this computer for 3 weeks before running into a serious issue already with my video card. Did I buy a lemon? I am not one to complain but I am now worried there might be other damage to other hardware. I want this computer to last a good 5 years problem free and in less than in a month so far I have to take it in for a possible new video card. Thank you for your input.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple usually doesn't offer replacements until after a computer has been repaired a few times. Also, you may not have a hardware issue at all. It sounds more like an app or process may be consuming system resources and causing your lagging problems.

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

my roomate got his whole motherboard replaced last week due to a graphic card issue he had the 660m .....so this is possible for them to fix but i dont think they will replace your machine just yet

4. colin27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it in this morning and they told me the fan has failed. I now have to wait a week until the can fix it. Has anyone else experienced this with the new Imac? Could I have possibly damaged anything else with the fan not working for the last week trying to figure out the problem, maybe cooked any other hardware? took only 3 weeks for the fan to die..wow.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No. If your Mac had reached a critical temperature, it would have shut down to protect the components. It's not a common fault, you were just unlucky...A new fan should fix things for you.

I use my new iMac fro X-Plane, and although you can hear the fan, the system doesn't really get that hot...X-Plane is a very CPU and GPU intensive app too. Hope you get yours back soon.

6. colin27 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your input, I am glad to hear that. I sure hope this fixes everything. Like i said in the first post I am new to apple and I really like this computer I hope this will be my last problem with this computer. I really like the design and mainly the 680mx video card which is more of the reason i bought it for a nice gaming rig. Nice to see apple is diving into the gaming market.