Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Hi,

I am using a 13" MBP to import a TON of cds into iTunes. I've been going pretty much none stop. The drive does not feel hot to the touch, but I was just wondering if the drive will be okay if I continue to sue it for the next few days in the same way. Would it at least be covered by Apple if I burn it up?

Thanks,

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You're not going to burn it up just by using it. That's what it was designed for.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
did the same thing with my 12" 1.5 system a few years ago. ripped over 800 cds, did actually manage to kill the internal optical drive, and had to finish the project with a cheapo external firewire case and fast cd/dvd combo drive. after moving to the external, the process went much faster for whatever thats worth.

replaced the optical in the powerbook myself as it was no longer under applecare, so no idea on how they :)apple:) would handle that.

best of luck.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Care to post a link where Apple specifies usage limits? I didn't think so! That's because there aren't any.

You have got to be kidding me. Do you honestly think that you can use this thing for a year (a full warranty period) NON STOP and have it working perfectly?

There's no Honda or GMC or any other car manufacturers' links saying that their engines won't run fine for 900,000 miles, but do you think they will?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You have got to be kidding me. Do you honestly think that you can use this thing for a year (a full warranty period) NON STOP and have it working perfectly?
There's no Honda or GMC or any other car manufacturers' links saying that their engines won't run fine for 900,000 miles, but do you think they will?
No one said anything about using it non-stop for a year. The OP asked about using it non-stop for a few days. And it's a computer, not a Honda, GMC or other car.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
No one said anything about using it non-stop for a year. The OP asked about using it non-stop for a few days. And it's a computer, not a Honda, GMC or other car.
No one specifically said a full year, but you did say:
Care to post a link where Apple specifies usage limits? I didn't think so! That's because there aren't any.
And the standard warranty is a year, so i narrowed it down to that, not unlimited, like you suggested.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No one specifically said a full year, but you did say:

And the standard warranty is a year, so i narrowed it down to that, not unlimited, like you suggested.

I didn't suggest that the warranty was unlimited. I said there aren't usage limits. Pay attention.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I didn't suggest that the warranty was unlimited. I said there aren't usage limits. Pay attention.

I didn't suggest the warranty was unlimited either. I stated that you implied the usage on parts was unlimited, which is simply not the case with anything.
EDIT: Sorry if I confused you, but the 'it' in the second line of my last post was referring to the amount of usage, not warranty period.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
I went through 2 dvd drives ripping and burning backups of my dvd collection for personal use. Well over a thousand disks by now. I can't fault them for failing after that period of use... In hindsight, an external would have saved me a lot of time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I didn't suggest the warranty was unlimited either. I stated that you implied the usage on parts was unlimited, which is simply not the case with anything.
You really should read and comprehend posts before you respond. I said:
I said you can't post any links where Apple specifies usage limits, because there aren't any such links. Apple does not specify how much you can or can't use the optical drive.
I went through 2 dvd drives ripping and burning backups of my dvd collection for personal use. Well over a thousand disks by now. I can't fault them for failing after that period of use... In hindsight, an external would have saved me a lot of time.
I've ripped several hundred CDs over the past 2 years on my optical drive and it still works perfectly.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
You really should read and comprehend posts before you respond. I said:

I said you can't post any links where Apple specifies usage limits, because there aren't any such links. Apple does not specify how much you can or can't use the optical drive.

I did read and comprehend it, but just answer this question for me honestly: Do you think that it will last FOREVER with UNLIMITED usage just because Apple doesn't say that it won't?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I did read and comprehend it, but just answer this question for me honestly: Do you think that it will last FOREVER with UNLIMITED usage just because Apple doesn't say that it won't?

Again, that's not what the OP asked, nor is it what I implied. The OP asked about using it non-stop for a matter of days. I said Apple doesn't specify usage limits. I also disagreed with your statement that "its not meant to be running for days or weeks straight", because I've done exactly that and more with no problems whatsoever. Of course, anything made by man has a finite life, but you're wrong if you think the optical drive can't handle being used frequently or even non-stop for days or weeks without breaking.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
You're fine...

I ripped ~1,000 CDs into iTunes. My CD drive started dying (had trouble recognising disks and often just spat them out again, and sometimes had trouble reading halfway through importing a track), and I got it replaced no questions asked.

As long as you're in warranty, if the drive dies, you should get it replaced... AFAIK there's no way for Apple to tell how much it has been used anyway.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Hi,

I am using a 13" MBP to import a TON of cds into iTunes. I've been going pretty much none stop. The drive does not feel hot to the touch, but I was just wondering if the drive will be okay if I continue to sue it for the next few days in the same way. Would it at least be covered by Apple if I burn it up?

Thanks,

It is kind of a hassle getting it replaced. Make an appointment, take it to a store, be tempted to buy more stuff, have it shipped away for a few days, have it fail out of warranty... At least that is what happened to me. I bought an external drive and it works better than the internal one ever did. Going forward, my next MBP drive will be used for that quick burn or install. Anything else will be done on my external drive.

Apple will cover the drive if under warranty, but I prefer to try and avoid the problem in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.