Could I change my macbook display/bezel back to glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheChinski, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TheChinski macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2010
    I have a 17" MBP, latest model, with the "upgraded" hd matt display.

However, I am curious as to whether I could get the glossy screen back by simply replacing the bezel with a black bezel and glossy screen cover as can be found on eBay - eg

Is the hd upgrade simply the same screen but without the glossy covering and black bezel - or is it in fact a different screen altogether?

Many thanks!
  2. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    The glossy model had a glossy panel as well the last time I had a glossy model.
  3. mark28 macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2010
    It's a different screen.
  4. TheChinski thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2010
    wow, that is REALLY interesting! So out of interest, how is it different exactly for the extra (only) £40? - the website doesn't give any specifics.

Wonder if I could still install the bezel / glass cover referred to above ...
  5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2010
    It probably can be installed.

But a matte screen + glass is the worst from both worlds in my opinion. Because now you have a matte screen with reflections.

You probably won't get the vibrant colors and the higher contrast from a true Glossy screen.

It's best to stick with the Matte screen in my opinion.
  6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Nov 20, 2008
    Not really if you think about it; glossy screens aren't created by taking a screen with an anti-glare coating and sticking a piece of glass in front of it.

Your anti-glare screen is a screen that has an anti-glare coating on it. The glossy screen would be similar to the glossy screen on a MBA, with a piece of glass on top of it.
  7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2002
    Bay Area, Ca.
    You can pull the antiglare coating off, but it's not an easy process and you can damage your LCD and/or be stuck with a really screwed up antiglare coating.

The easiest way IMHO, is to trade with someone for a glossy MBP.