Could I get a new MacBook Pro in this situation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neal.yng, Nov 17, 2008.

1. neal.yng macrumors newbie

After 8 months of normal usage, the screen on my 2.4 ghz SR MacBook Pro suddenly decided to get 3 stuck pixels. I took it into the Apple Store, and they replaced the top half of the laptop with the screen, but the new screen had a lot of backlight bleed. I took it back again, it was replaced, and now the third new screen has several dead pixels. Now, I do not think that I am somehow entitled to a new computer everytime something goes wrong, but this is getting ridiculous. I need to use this computer for school, and I can't just have it constantly getting repaired. Does anyone know Apple's policy on this?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I doubt that you will get a refurbished system, as it sounds like the issue is restricted to your display.The most they will likely do is replace it with a refurbished system of the same vintage. How quickly they do a full replacement, all depends on the availability of said system, and how bad off your current unit is.

[​IMG]

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...they will keep replacing the screen until it works. at the most you would get a refurb. . you will not get a new system.

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I have a first gen Macbook Pro and it's got a fan issue (making loud noises) as well as the casing on the screen starting spread open. Also, firewire port doesn't hold plugs very well. I have apple care and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this kind of thing. They could easily just fix the problems and send it back to me, but has anyone received a new laptop from this sort of thing?

5. sube-Fresh macrumors newbie

The previous post is correct. Applecare states you will not get a new machine, unless refurbs are not availalbe, or you will get a refurbished part over and over.

6. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just got a my FOURTH replacement display over the course of 3 weeks, and it has 4 stuck pixels. Would this be enough to warrant a replacement if I was very firm with them? I looked online and it said that if a computer is repaired 3 times with the same issue, they will replace it. This is absolutely ridiculous. I NEED this computer for school, and I really don't want to be without it for another five days. I guess it's too much to expect a $2500 computer to work as advertised.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

lemon law?

8. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

9. amoda macrumors 6502a

Talk to them, actually email them.

Email sjobs@apple.com and steve@mac.com.

No, your email won't be read by his Steveness. What will happen is that your email will be read by executive customer relationship reps. They have the most "power" when it comes to repairs/replacements/gifts.

Apple reps in general are among the best I've ever dealt with, but the exec reps are even better. Explain your situation in the email, provide your serial # and contact info. You should receive a phone call or email soon.

In both cases I used this (to deal with the same laptop) i received a reply or phone call less than 24 hours later and it was to my satisfaction.

Oh, and they'll be replacing my early 07 (which I just mailed to them last Friday) and they'll replace it with a new unibody MBP.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I did have a few more issues than you. I had 3 screen replacements and 3 logic board replacements.

Screen:
    1. There was a defect that's hard to explain, sorta had to see it to understand.
    2. The screen they gave me to replace #1 came with a dead iSight.
    3. Screen backlight died 2 months after screen #2 was replaced.

Logic board:
    All GPU related.

However, I share the pain of going without the laptop. Then again it's arguable that you could survive with 3 or 4 dead pixels until you don't need the laptop as much (Christmas or March break). Unless you're in photography or something that requires a perfect screen.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think getting a total replacement is reserved for people with larger issues than a couple of dead pixels.

I also believe you're looking for an upgrade and not a replacement. You will probably only get the item replaced with something not of this current gen.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I imagine that Apple will replace it with the same model since you're looking at an eight month old computer. I had issues with a much older Powerbook and they did not have a new replacement. Apple Care told me they do not replace with a refurbished computer and I was given a new MBP. I would be firm and ask for a replacement since they have obviously not remedied the problem.

13. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I really don't mind getting the older model, as long as it actually works, and if it is refurbished, not scratched up, as I have kept my computer in pristine condition.

14. foodle macrumors 6502

How do 3 stuck pixels prevent you from getting your school work done? :confused:

Seriously, if you need the machine so bad, just live with the stuck pixels for a little while until the semester/term/quarter is over and get it fixed over vacation.

15. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

They don't prevent me from getting my school work done, but they are still annoying and distracting, especially considering that I paid $2500 for this computer.

16. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

replacement

i had a feb 2008 mb white bto 250. Multiple hd failures they replaced it with a al 2.4 mb. even though they had black books with the same specks as the one i had. in the refirb and clearance sections. it was replaced from the online store. so they dont always give you a refirb when they are available

17. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

my core duo blackbook got abused at the apple service center, and they replaced it with a brand new core 2 duo penryn blackbook, and then this same thing happened again. with that blackbook, and still under warranty, the local store replaced it with a top of the line alum macbook, and i took that and sold it and put up some cash and got a macbook pro instead, late 2008 base model.

apple knows when they mess up, you just have to tell them that they have.

the steve jobs emails is how all of my issues have been resolved, usually 2 hours or so after mailing them off i get responses in my favor, they know that if they give you good service you might tell a friend or two, but if you get bad service you'll tell the whole internet, and they don't want that bad press.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The best thing to do is to contact Apple service and support line over the phone. Explain to them that you've had your computer in service 3 times and each time it came back defective from service. Be firm and request a replacement, don't wait for them to offer it to you because they may just ask to allow them to try and repair it again.

Now here's my recommendation (and please don't get offended) let it go about the amount of money that you spent. Most of Apple's customers spend about $2000+ on a Mac.
    If you start off by saying, "I spent $2500....dadada" it will go in one ear and out the other and you end up sounding like a "jerk" type of customer and they may not go out of their way to take care of you.
    Hope everything works out. :)

19. foodle macrumors 6502

Waaa! I spent $XXX dollars on my computer and it must be perfect! Waaa! :rolleyes:

Guess what? Nothing is perfect. You can spend 10x that on a car and it won't be perfect. What exactly is the dollar threshold that requires a product to be perfect?

Is this a site for Mac users or an OCD support group?

20. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

What is your definition of perfect? By "perfect" do you mean "performs as advertised"? I think that $2500 is a pretty reasonable amount to have a computer with no defects in manufacturing.

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Call AppleCare, ask to be transfered to customer relations.

22. aussie.damo macrumors regular

I think I missed the part of the OPs post where he asked for your opinion on whether he should be complaining about this? As I read it, he's asking if he could get a new Mac because of the troubles he's had with it.

Based on the fact that the screen has been replaced a number of times, even Apple agrees that he should be concerned about this. What business is that of yours? How does your comment help resolve his question? Are you just being needlessly aggressive because the internet is anonymous?

TO the OP: As other posters have mentioned, I think you should email "Steve". Regardless of how much you pay, you shouldn't have to be without your machine when you need it. Apple has awesome customer service and i'm sure they'll help you out.

Best of luck.

Damo

23. neal.yng thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I emailed sjobs@apple.com and explained my issues. Today, I got a call from a Genius at the Mall of America Apple Store who to me about the issues, and ordered me a new display that should arrive tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. He also informed me that my repair would be given the highest priority and should be completed the same day. Hopefully that one will work.

24. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Cool..

Always best case scenario to get a "person on the line" who can actually get what you are saying... I am sure (from past experience) that they will do their best.. if that does NOT fix it, then I imagine further action may be suggested.. Apple does not like Unhappy People :)

25. foodle macrumors 6502

True, it does not. However, it does point to the underlying psychology of many customers that return machines multiple times for their lack of perfection, which would seem to be a reasonable topic of discussion in a forum such as this.

Nope, I'm this needlessly aggressive in person too. :D