Could I get in trouble for...

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
... giving away Legos?

My family is cleaning our house and we have a ******** of legos. We don't want to waste our time selling them and were just going to give them away. There is this asian family down the street that has about 12 kids and most of the time they are just outside playing games in the street so I was just wondering if I went to their door, asked their mom/dad if they would like all our legos for free, and then give them the legos, is there anyway we could get in trouble for this? What if one of the kids swallows them or something?

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I actually think it's a good idea. Just give them to the parents not directly to kids. Bring a small bag of legos for samples so that they'd know what exactly you are offering.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Also, I can picture the mom and dad discussing each other if there could be any problem if they receive your legos just like you are worrying about it right now. Man, the society has become so insecure thanks to all those psychos out there.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
If they object, I'll gladly try and work something out with you to get them sent to me.

They will likely go in storage for the time being. I drag them out and have a lego building weekend every year or so.

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I literally have like a lego workstation haha. It is like a whole closet full of them because I was really into that as a kid, so I'm not sure if you would want them all.

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I will try to find a home for them for two weeks, if I can't by then then I will give them away. PM me to be on the list.

Some of the stuff included:

-lots of random assorted pieces literally in crates.
-All the original Bionicles + some of the more expensive Bionicles
-The Lego Mindstorms 2.0 programmable robot thing, cost us over 200 at the time
-the Lego movie recorder thing, cost us about 150 bucks

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
That's awesome, I still have a ton of Legos as well. Most of mine are Lego sets I picked up while I was collecting them. I have a lot of really big sets that are worth quite a pretty penny - my favorite being the "Lego 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins".

The great thing about Legos is they never lose their value. Out of all things, Legos have managed to sustain their value and increase over time, whether it is a complete set or random pieces. I buy sets from various sites and find all the missing pieces using misc. sites and local garage sales, then sell them as complete for a profit. I used to do that I mean, until I got screwed over by Paypal, but that is another story.

geekgirl

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
I will try to find a home for them for two weeks, if I can't by then then I will give them away. PM me to be on the list.

Some of the stuff included:

-lots of random assorted pieces literally in crates.
-All the original Bionicles + some of the more expensive Bionicles
-The Lego Mindstorms 2.0 programmable robot thing, cost us over 200 at the time
-the Lego movie recorder thing, cost us about 150 bucks
Maybe check to see if there is a middle school in your area who could use them. My son was in the FIRST Lego™ League in middle school, and loved programming the mindstorm.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Why do people call it 'Legos'?

It's lego. A box of lego. A lego kit. A piece of lego.

Anyhoo - kudos for trying to find a good home for it - it's an awesome play thing for kids, especially inspiriing for science, technology, maths and engineering.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Kudos for passing on your Lego--they're some of the best toys money can buy.

That's very generous of you. Just to be careful, be sure to give it to the parents rather than the kids. Beyond that, you deserve a pat on the back :)

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Don't throw away your Legos dude! I didn't, and in a couple of weeks I'm going up to my parents' house while they're away just to use the entire living room for Lego-building.

You're never too old. :)

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
That's a really nice thing for you to do. I'm sure they'll be thrilled that you even thought of them. And no, you won't get in trouble unless you present the legos as something that they're not (like food) :D.

Edit: Reading the thread, it seems like you abandoned the idea of giving them to your neighbors. First thought, best thought IMHO.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
Why do people call it 'Legos'?

It's lego. A box of lego. A lego kit. A piece of lego.

Anyhoo - kudos for trying to find a good home for it - it's an awesome play thing for kids, especially inspiriing for science, technology, maths and engineering.
I was thinking this as well. Maybe it's only in blighty where we refer to it as lego?

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That's a really nice thing for you to do. I'm sure they'll be thrilled that you even thought of them. And no, you won't get in trouble unless you present the legos as something that they're not (like food) :D.

Edit: Reading the thread, it seems like you abandoned the idea of giving them to your neighbors. First thought, best thought IMHO.
My parents don't want me to give them away to them because they want to give them instead to someone we know, but we don't really know anybody that could use them, ugh my parents are so stupid sometimes. :(

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Also, I can picture the mom and dad discussing each other if there could be any problem if they receive your legos just like you are worrying about it right now. Man, the society has become so insecure thanks to all those psychos out there.
It's too close to Halloween all the psychos are busy buying apples and razor blades to bother poisoning children's legos or reupholstering their Chester the molester mobiles (panel vans with darkened teardrop windows) for a road trip to the elementary schools.

That reminds me I have to repackage some ex lax.