Could I get in trouble for...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

... giving away Legos?

My family is cleaning our house and we have a ******** of legos. We don't want to waste our time selling them and were just going to give them away. There is this asian family down the street that has about 12 kids and most of the time they are just outside playing games in the street so I was just wondering if I went to their door, asked their mom/dad if they would like all our legos for free, and then give them the legos, is there anyway we could get in trouble for this? What if one of the kids swallows them or something?

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

If you gave them to the parents, then the safety of the children is the parents responsibility. You'll be fine. :)

P-Worm

3. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I actually think it's a good idea. Just give them to the parents not directly to kids. Bring a small bag of legos for samples so that they'd know what exactly you are offering.

4. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Also, I can picture the mom and dad discussing each other if there could be any problem if they receive your legos just like you are worrying about it right now. Man, the society has become so insecure thanks to all those psychos out there.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

If they object, I'll gladly try and work something out with you to get them sent to me.

They will likely go in storage for the time being. I drag them out and have a lego building weekend every year or so.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I literally have like a lego workstation haha. It is like a whole closet full of them because I was really into that as a kid, so I'm not sure if you would want them all.

8. iowamensan macrumors 6502

I would gladly drive to MN to pick them up if you can't find a home for them

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't worry about it.

10. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I will try to find a home for them for two weeks, if I can't by then then I will give them away. PM me to be on the list.

Some of the stuff included:

-lots of random assorted pieces literally in crates.
    -All the original Bionicles + some of the more expensive Bionicles
    -The Lego Mindstorms 2.0 programmable robot thing, cost us over 200 at the time
    -the Lego movie recorder thing, cost us about 150 bucks

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That's awesome, I still have a ton of Legos as well. Most of mine are Lego sets I picked up while I was collecting them. I have a lot of really big sets that are worth quite a pretty penny - my favorite being the "Lego 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins".

The great thing about Legos is they never lose their value. Out of all things, Legos have managed to sustain their value and increase over time, whether it is a complete set or random pieces. I buy sets from various sites and find all the missing pieces using misc. sites and local garage sales, then sell them as complete for a profit. I used to do that I mean, until I got screwed over by Paypal, but that is another story.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm sure a giant box o' legos could fetch a healthy price on ebay, if you're so inclined

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's very nice of you. Give them to the parents. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

14. geekgirl macrumors regular

Maybe check to see if there is a middle school in your area who could use them. My son was in the FIRST Lego™ League in middle school, and loved programming the mindstorm.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

Why do people call it 'Legos'?

It's lego. A box of lego. A lego kit. A piece of lego.

Anyhoo - kudos for trying to find a good home for it - it's an awesome play thing for kids, especially inspiriing for science, technology, maths and engineering.

16. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Kudos for passing on your Lego--they're some of the best toys money can buy.

That's very generous of you. Just to be careful, be sure to give it to the parents rather than the kids. Beyond that, you deserve a pat on the back :)

17. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Don't throw away your Legos dude! I didn't, and in a couple of weeks I'm going up to my parents' house while they're away just to use the entire living room for Lego-building.

You're never too old. :)

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

That's a really nice thing for you to do. I'm sure they'll be thrilled that you even thought of them. And no, you won't get in trouble unless you present the legos as something that they're not (like food) :D.

Edit: Reading the thread, it seems like you abandoned the idea of giving them to your neighbors. First thought, best thought IMHO.

19. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I was thinking this as well. Maybe it's only in blighty where we refer to it as lego?

20. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

My parents don't want me to give them away to them because they want to give them instead to someone we know, but we don't really know anybody that could use them, ugh my parents are so stupid sometimes. :(

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Is "legos" the new term the kids are using these days for "extasy"?

I cant keep up with the lingo.

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

24. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

You will make 'em happy. You will be happy. It's a win-wn. Go for it man ! ;)

25. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

It's too close to Halloween all the psychos are busy buying apples and razor blades to bother poisoning children's legos or reupholstering their Chester the molester mobiles (panel vans with darkened teardrop windows) for a road trip to the elementary schools.

That reminds me I have to repackage some ex lax.