Could I have a virus??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beatboxx04, Jun 20, 2008.

1. beatboxx04 macrumors newbie

I downloaded Limewire a long time ago, did a few downloads and then erased the downloads along with Limewire itself. Well, recently I was online and then closed my browser and some folders appeared on my desktop that were labeled "lime-virusXXXXXXXX" (X's mean numbers). There was 3 of them. I put them in my trash, then downloaded ClamXav and searched for any infected files. There was only one and it was in my Safari cache. I erased that file and I thought I was done.

Then today I was online again and then I closed my browser and in my desktop again were three folders and they say now Xx53728, XxX27635, Xx673892. What is this and what should I do???
    Thanks.

2. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Limevirus

OK. The good news first. You don't seem to have a virus. Limevirus is a Limewire client. Even though there doesn't seem to be a stable version for Mac.

OK. To get rid of this Limevirus, I would suggest the following:
    1. Make sure your firewall is running and there aren't any exceptions for Limewire left.
    2. Delete all Limevirus files.
    3. Check your disk permission.

If this doesn't help, empty your browser cache and get rid of all unnecessary cookies.

Hope you can fix your problem.