Could I have damaged my machine/best way to clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bloodsport, May 1, 2014.

1. Bloodsport macrumors newbie

May 1, 2014
    Hi there,

So I have a retina-display Macbook Pro 2014. I had a little build up of gunk in the vents between the body and the display screen (talking hair, to be more TMI). I decided the best thing to do would be to stick a smaller nozzle on my vacuum and get in there to suck it all up. Ended up afterwards being told that vacuuming a laptop could severely damage the fan and cause a static energy build up inside the machine. Is there any risk to what I've done? I was really just vacuuming the exterior.

I'm kinda paranoid about keeping this machine in a really good condition since it was a present :D.

What would you use to clean the area and the keyboard generally? Is compressed air good?

Many thanks and responses appreciated.
  2. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2013
    I've used a vacuum for years on my Macs, but not my household one. I sitck with the small electronics style ones that's perfect for cleaning vents.
    It's news to me about the possibility of vacuuming damaging a laptop or desktop, but if you're concerned you could always switch to compressed air. Honestly I think you're in the clear and I wouldn't worry. I would just make sure the machine is fully powered off before doing any cleaning.
  3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2005
    Leamington Spa, England
    I use a soft toothbrush for getting into the nooks on my rMBP and iklear apple polish for cleaning.

I wouldn't worry about any damage caused by vacuuming, the risk is very minimal, just don't do it again.
  4. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

May 1, 2014
    Thanks for the response guys.

I powered down the Macbook Pro and was using an ordinary household cleaner with a nozzle on it to get right in there. I've already bought some compressed air for next time. I just wanted to be sure I've not done any bad damage to my precious machine :D.
  5. hallux macrumors 68030

Apr 25, 2012
    Unless you open it up, all compressed air will do is push the dust/hair INTO the computer. Sure, some will make it out but you'll just need to go back and clean it again sooner. I use compressed air but I disassemble the cooling system before I use it, for a more thorough cleaning.
  6. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

May 1, 2014
    I was also worried about that, hence why I thought the suction of a hoover/vacuum would be better at removing the hair/dust from that particular vent. But as I said, apparently it's really bad for the machine. Maybe I should invest in a laptop designed hoover or something.
  7. hallux macrumors 68030

Apr 25, 2012

Yes, depending on the environmental conditions the movement of the air across the board and chips can build static electricity which is a Bad Thing in the electronics world. In humid climates it may not be so bad, do it in Arizona and it's a different story.
  8. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

May 1, 2014
    Humidity is 80% in London today (which begs the question why I'm using American terminology) so I should be fine. :p

If I did do any damage though, how would it manifest itself?