Could I have gotten a virus ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by XPcentric, Nov 13, 2008.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

What happened is: I browsed some dodgy websites yesterday evening and something got corrupted with my Mac when I started this morning being at school this time

- first, the time was set to 0:00
    - could not connect to university VPN when I arrived, (though I used it before) I reinstalled the vpn program and it worked then.
    - now parallels didnt work, ( said smth about missing drivers), reinstalled parallels and now its working.
    - there is only a general folder that is shared between Mac OS and Windows.

All that I'm using: Windows XP and after I closed XP yesterday, have chosen to revert and not to save the changes, browser used is Firefox with NoScript addon.

I guess it could have gone worst, if I didnt use the protective measures I did.

If anyone had similar problems, and if you have any advice. Guess I'll have to scan my Mac, but heard there is not viruses on Mac. I'm a newbie here!

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

If by dodgy do you mean seductive? :rolleyes: ;)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Were you browsing on XP in Parallels or on the Mac side?

Did you install anything?

4. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

I was browsing on Mac first trying to watch an asx streaming, interested in CMA Awards, than I found I cant play it and switched to XP Parallels. Then I started to watch more videos, all kinds.

Its bizarre what happened. Hope it didnt affect other programs. BTW, I'm not afraid of viruses, as long as I can recover my data; not as much such as of spyware and adaware programs, do they exist for a Mac ?

I think you agree, nobody would want his/her data to be passed on to third parties.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nothing that happens in Parallels should affect the Mac side of your computer.

On which side were the problems? The XP install through Parallels may have gotten a virus, but it can't crossover. (Although it may have deleted/corrupted drivers in XP, which may explain you problem there.)

And, no, no one wants their data passed on.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you had shared folders then the contents of those folders could become infected. If your entire Mac volume was shared then a Windows virus could potentially modify any unprotected Mac OS system file.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Except one that randomly deletes crap when the entire Mac HD is shared - Nermal brought that point up.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

To be completely accurate, in theory and in labs there are viruses that can cross over but they have never been seen in the wild.