Could I have Raid as my boot and a extra to record audio to?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

No.

That's a power supply splitter, not a data cable splitter. You can't split a SATA data signal, AFAIK. You'll need a PCIe SATA controller and something like the Sonnett Jive to do what you want to do.

3. MacHamster68, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Here look at that site for what you need , they explain their products quiet well and still offer things for PPC Mac's, dont need to buy there ,
    Macupgrades uk offer the parts toohttp://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=190

for adding hardrives in a PowerMac G5 you need a sonnet Jive , that gives you 3 added bays in front of the CPU , you need a sonnet tempo raid controller too ,
    http://www.sonnettech.com/

would you please explain me one thing , what do you hope to achieve ?

As it would be so easy to just get 2 x caviar black 2 TB drives fit them in the 2 drive bays that are already in there max out the ram , upgrade the GPU , as that would give more then enough space & performance for the average user , easy to install and nothing to worry about, just plug and play

4. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Because I"m not an average user. I use heavy programs like Logic, Sibelius, kontact player etc... and need everything fast for the sounds.
    But anyway,
    Thankyou for all your help. I wouldn't have enough money yet to buy all the raid g5 jive controllers yet but, would it be faster to have

1. 2 Hard Drives RAIDED for OS and Logic audio

or

1. 1 Hard Drive for the OS and 1 Hard Drive for Logic audio

When I say logic audio I mean where my audio files save to.

I can't decide which would be faster?

5. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

6 of one, half dozen of the other. It would be software RAID in the case of the first scenario and that's not really going to be appreciably faster than using a secondary drive for just capturing audio input.

6. zen.state, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

RAID is something you don't at all want to play with unless you understand what it's all about and how to manage it. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for headaches.

RAID are far more helpful for video work than audio. It's honestly not worth the hassle in your situation.

You rely far too much on forum advice. You don't even know for sure which advice is right. When you look things up on your own you both learn and verify things. It gives you peace of mind and education.

In all seriousness how can you ever possibly learn anything when make a thread for every question in your head? Even if everyone here gave 100% correct answers and spoon fed you everything you ask for you won't learn even half as much as figuring it out yourself. Things will ALWAYS be confusing if you never bother to learn anything.

7. MacHamster68, Oct 25, 2011

MacHamster68

I fully agree with that best way to learn is to make mistakes , and what might be perfectly right for my needs might be a total waste for other peoples needs , and i never was aware that one might need fast harddrive / raid setup for audio work , all it really needs is a fast processor and lots of ram to my knowledge as audio files are small enough to be kept in ram to work with usually ,if needs must a ram disk will do , ... as i use those for film cutting too , cheaper then investing in a ssd , but my PowerMac has 16 gb ram so plenty of space for a ram disk , my PC i use with Avid even has more

8. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

@ MacintoshMaster

I have once used Cubase, with 8 tracks, recording from an 8track Firepod via Firewire and saving the recorded audio via USB on an external hard drive (would rec. firewire when second port is present), with an ibook G4, 1,33GHz, 1,5GB RAM. That worked fine, without using samples. If you use samples, then my guess would be, it would be sufficient to have the samples on a second (internal or external firewire) harddrive and save the money, that you would otherwise spend for an SSD or RAID.
    I would keep things simple, if one is not sure to have full control about it. I have never used a RAID and just don't use it, because I do not have personal experience and do not want to find out on my own, that the "theoretical" statement, that the fast RAID is less reliable than a single drive, is true. This is just pure emotional fear, without having own experience, but maybe it saves me some time, not having to record a 2h session again.

This here might be of great help for you, I googled "RAID for logic studio".
    http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=67197&sid=33dd80095b4fac8b96709d54b3936f22
    http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3851 (external drive vs. RAID)
    http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=2997&sid=cedff868ed32a7560efff0daf00126bc (comparison of Drive configurations of logicusers)
    http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=246072 (software RAID vs Hardware RAID, in connection with ProTools)
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/937057?start=0&tstart=0 (explaining a sampler and giving answer to RAID question)
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3046324?start=0&tstart=0
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2699129?start=0&tstart=0 (RAID and its usefulness for homerecording)

you might want to add "g5" to the search term.

some are talking about Mac Pro, on a PPC G5 it might be different, but it shows you what google and logichelp.com can offer you.

9. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Oh... Audio work can very seriously tax your hard drives. A friend of mine is having really aggravating problems with his setup, and he's on a 3 GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 20 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive ;)

Granted, he also regularly uses that full 20 GB of RAM, and wishes he had more... but I digress..

The more audio samples you're mixing at once, the faster your HDD needs to be... (naturally CPU power is important too, as is memory) and honestly, although I can't tell you if this is true for you, seek times/random read/writes are often very important too, meaning you WILL want an SSD.

I don't know how heavy your workloads are, so like I said, I can't say for sure.. but it's likely that an SATA300 card and a reasonably fast SSD would save you a lot of headache.

RAID can be a pain, and as mentioned, a real headache, and unless you're going to do hardware RAID, don't even bother. In many cases RAID 0 with mechanical HDDs doesn't make as much sense these days, as you can get better speeds (and far better random speeds) with a single SSD on a fast SATA controller.

I suppose if memory isn't an issue, using a RAM disk isn't a bad idea. That's not an option for my friend.. as he's not only out of RAM, but working with 500 GB+ libraries.

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Cox Orange knows whats up. Good real world advice from another audio guy. This forum needs more posts like his.

11. MacHamster68, Oct 25, 2011

MacHamster68

Granted , depending on what you do with audio , if you do it to pro standard then yes , you might need fast harddrives or raid setups or even better SSD's and raid setups , but then like your mate would chose a MacPro if money is no object and not a PowerMac , like i dont use my PowerMac for my Avid work, for fun yes

i build my Work PC based on a ASUS crosshair v and AMD fx 8150 black edition (eight core )( the last bit missing ordered but still not arrived yet , then i can retire my Phenom II based work rig ), with 2x ATI Radeon 6950 HD 2 gb crossfired , 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 , 6 x Western Digital RE4's in Raid 0, all toghether still cheaper then a MacPro , i tend to live on a buget that i set myself because i said it on a other post the Avid hardware is expensive enough and didn't want to spend 10 grand before earning money, might get a MacPro after the next revision, the avid hardware works on a MacPro too and the AVID software needs just changing from windows to OSX , costs just a phone call

12. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Right; like I said, I've no idea what you're doing with the audio software. Lots of simultaneous samples are going to be begging for faster hard drives.

In his case, money *is* an object.. as a 23-year-old making $15/hour, otherwise he'd have a 12-core Mac Pro with quad 512 GB SSDs in RAID 0, brand new JBL 6238 speakers with a couple of Digidesign Pro HD3 cards and 128 GB of RAM ;)

Hm. If you're using something like Avid and need the hardware that's that expensive, it sounds like you're doing quite intense work.

I feel like I should warn you though, Bulldozer performance is actually soemtimes lower than that of its Phenom predecessors, for a number of reasons, including that it's only got 1 FPU per two "cores." So your 8-core Bulldozer is really a 4-core in FPU-heavy situations (which audio of course is). They've also deepened the pipeline which naturally brings its own issues, and haven't done much by way of cache improvements (in fact, it's arguable that they're worse). At the same clockspeed, they're generally slower than the processors they replace. So you'd better be able to hit 4 GHz plus if you want to really have it hit stride.. hm.

Zen.State, as usual you make a very silly post. He said he used Cubase once, never used RAID, and used Google to find things... and you're hailing him as a saint and an audio expert :rolleyes:

No offense intended to Cox, by the way. There's nothing wrong with his post, Zen's just being ridiculous.