Could I install Windows 7 this way?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by anamznazn, Jun 20, 2012.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

Alright, so here's the background. I have a Macbook Pro (early/mid 2011). The superdrive is broken and I'm having trouble installing Windows 7 via bootcamp because booting up via USB is not supported.

I made a partition on the harddrive for windows through disk utility. Can I take the physical harddrive out and place it inside a PC laptop and install windows on THAT partition?

Afterwards, I'll just put that harddrive back into the Macbook Pro. Is this possible or do you think any problems will come up?

2. huguesval macrumors newbie

3. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

I didn't think anyone would respond, but thanks. Here's my experience if anybody's curious.

I went ahead and took out the MBP's HDD and placed it inside a Dell's laptop. I booted the laptop with a Windows 7 install CD and installed Windows on the partition I made previously from disk utility. The Mac's partition could not be seen - I'm assuming it's because its format is mac's journaled extended. The install went fine without any hiccup.

After the install, I removed the HDD and placed it back inside the MBP. I held the option key and turned the laptop on. I was happy to see that the Window's partition was selectable so I went ahead and clicked on that. Unfortunately, I was presented with the blue screen of death and the system turned off immediately. I was unable to get into Windows no matter how many times I tried.

I was able to boot into the System Recovery Options screen and tried letting it repair itself. That was an endless loop and did not help at all.

I had this weird idea with a Windows 7 usb flash drive install I had. I clicked on Command Prompt and tried accessing the flash drive. It was able to read the flash drive and all the install files were there! I went ahead and ran the setup.exe file and it took me directly to the Windows 7 install screen. The install went perfectly fine and I was able to boot to Windows 7 normally after everything was done.

d:
    d:setup.exe