Could I run Windows XP under BootCamp on my PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LOLZpersonok, Sep 19, 2012.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

It has:

Mac OS X 10.4.11
    2GB PC2700 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9000 64MB Video Memory
    120GB Hard Disk Drive
    Dual PowerPC G4 @ 1.25GHz each and 2MB L3 Cache per CPU

I'm just wondering.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. Bootcamp is only for Intel Macs, not PPC.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Furthermore, Windows XP only natively runs on Intel processors. Your only option is emulation (not via Parallels or VMware or Virtual Box - those don't work with PPC Macs) but through specialty software that emulates Intel code on a PPC. There used to a company called Connectix that made Virtual PC that does what you need, but MS bought them years ago and discontinued their Mac software.

There is no way to do bootcamp though - as stated, Bootcamp is a native solution and you need an Intel Mac for that since Windows is only native built for Intel.

4. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Oh, okay. Thanks for the answer though.

----------

Okay, thanks for the response.

Just curious, but if I wanted to, could I install Windows 8 on the Mac to run without emulation? Since Windows 8 supports the ARM architecture I think that's similar to PowerPC architecture...

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Nope, even if your machine was powerful enough to support Windows 8, ARM and PPC are not the same thing at all. Even if they were similar, that wouldn't be enough. Code like this is very particular and it will not work at all.

Emulation is your only option and even then you might be at the end of the road.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And even if you could run Windows RT... the version of W8 for ARM devices... there would be no way to obtain a copy. Unlike Windows 8 proper, RT will only be available on pre-loaded hardware.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Forgot about that one - RT is indeed OEM only and isn't commercially for sale.