Could I take my MBP to Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimi94941, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

I just came to USA from EU and I have a warranty there but I noticed a strange noise when I move my MBP around so I was wondering if I can take it to Apple store just to check it out... will they do it for free (of course I doubt it) or will I have to pay and if so, how much?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

AppleCare is international - no charge for them to look at it. Will be free - unless you damaged the MBP.

3. paul117 macrumors regular

4. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have an Apple Care, I have a 2 year warranty from the local store where I bought it, kinda like if I would get a warrant in Best Buy.

@paul117, here is the noise, I uploaded it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-no4Cv__A

5. paul117 macrumors regular

wow.... that sounds like something in the fans...

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Sounds like something is inside the fan...
    Did you open it up and cleaned it before?

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Are you still within 1 year of your purchase date? One year of Apple Care is included with their computers.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would open up the back and inspect it first. Get some dust off and clean the fans. There may be something lodged in there.

9. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, no, I have never opened it up before. And unfortunately, it's older than a year...

But I have never opened it up before, there is something very wrong with it because I don't know how something could get stuck in there and even if it did, that noise is too strange for that.

10. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You won't know till you open it up and peek around. You're not voiding any sort of warranty or anything.

11. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, in that case, in the morning I will go and buy a screwdriver for MBP's screws and have a peek. And if I don't find anything I will take it to Apple store, and maybe, hopefully, they won't charge me too much... :) Thanks guys.

12. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

open it don tamper with anything, and if i were you I wouldn't even tell them I opened it up , it doesn't not void your warranty but just avoid the hassle and the back and forth arguing because believe me one of the employees will tell you oh no you shouldn't have done that and will try to blame you for the noise lol

Good Luck

13. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Ya good advice. Open it but don't mention it to any apple employee lol

14. annay49 macrumors member

This happened to my laptop. I had the techs open it up and clean it even though I could have done it. Was done for free with no warrenty. They found what looked like a piece of soldering had come loose it was tiny but making the same sound.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If the computer is <1 year old then it's covered by Apple Care, regardless of 3rd party insurance/warranties.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

He said it's older than a year, so only the two year warranty from the local store would apply. Unfortunately, that means Apple doesn't have ti fix it. Could still take it in and ask them to look; there's always a chance they might do it for free.

17. Idefix macrumors 6502

EU regulations give everyone a 2-year warranty. The question is whether the Apple Geniuses in the US will even know that, or honor that.

There'll be a lot of explaining to do...

You're a pioneer!

18. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

They don't have to, and mostly likely won't do anything. It's EU law after all, not international.

19. iDabble macrumors regular

just take it to an apple store, free to have them look at it