Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I'm asking your advice before i try (dont want to screw everything up) I've been told that my netgammon will only work on a windows based computer. Could I try to install it and see if it works or could I mess things up? its a .exe

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I wouldnt mind using Parallels or Bootcamp if you could run things simultaneously but obviously you cant :p Its an online backgammon game. I tried the mac version but no one was online!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Yeah, mad jew is right. I'm assuming it's an online version of backgammon. Maybe give this a try. :)

Edit: Is that the one you've already tried?

Also, Parallels does allow you to run Windows simultaneously.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
yeah, sorry, but .exe won't work with OS X. your only option is to either use the mac version, or to use parallels/boot camp. parallels would be a good option, so you can hot swap between the two.

and what do you mean by 'can't run things simultaneously'?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
yeah, sorry, but .exe won't work with OS X. your only option is to either use the mac version, or to use parallels/boot camp. parallels would be a good option, so you can hot swap between the two.

and what do you mean by 'can't run things simultaneously'?

I'd try Parallels only because the only copy of Windows I have is ME. I mean by running simultaneously as in accessing Firefox in OS X and playing netgammon in windows. Do you get me? I'd love to give it a try im just a bit scared that I might mess things up

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
viccles said:
I'd try Parallels only because the only copy of Windows I have is ME. I mean by running simultaneously as in accessing Firefox in OS X and playing netgammon in windows. Do you get me? I'd love to give it a try im just a bit scared that I might mess things up
Well with parallels you can kind of run things simultaneously, because you can quickly swap between OS X and Windows, without shutting either down or anything.

EDIT: here is a video of what I mean by swapping between OS X and Windows.

And I doubt you'd mess anything up with Parallels. But since it's basically a "sandbox," if anything gets screwy, you haven't done anything to your actual hard drive (unlike bootcamp where you actually partition your drive), so it's real easy to just delete your Windows image.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Haha now im in a tossup whether to get a membership for the backgammon or try and run parallels :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.