Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Would an Apple store, official, not reseller, likely have the following in stock ready to be sold? The new Mac Mini's.

Mac Mini with:
1 GB of RAM,
60-80 GB HD, would settle for 40
AirPort card
Mouse and Keyboard

How soon do most apple stores get the new updated products in, ready to be sold?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
and you could get all those things( not the HD) at the store and put them in your self, but buying from online would be easier

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You would need to order it from the Apple Store. You can have it delivered to your store, but the unit is built to order, not a stock configuration.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
iMatt mini said:
Can you define stock mac's? Is that just the bare defaults of everything? What would be $499?
The "stock" configurations are those that show up on the first Mini page at Apple's Online Store. Those are the models that are available to resellers and at the Apple Store locations.

Any changes that you want to make on the following page (after you click "Select") are build-to-order options and must either (i) come from the online store or (ii) be done after market by you or an authorized Apple shop.

Welcome to Mac!

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
The local CompUSA has had mac minis since they were first released and were configured with options, such as an aiport card or bluetooth or both and had a superdrive. They also had some with 512 or 1 gig of ram already installed and they were right off the shelf. They were marked as "limited edition".

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
iGary said:
You would need to order it from the Apple Store. You can have it delivered to your store, but the unit is built to order, not a stock configuration.
The online Apple Store? And I can have it delivered to my store?

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
iGary said:
Yup. Each store actually has it's own online store you can order from.
If I take the discounts for education or whatever, do I have to show them ID when picking it up? I may not be the one picking it up, so that would be a problem.
And do I have to do that from apple.com or a website at their store??
Also, is shipping cheaper?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iMatt mini said:
If I take the discounts for education or whatever, do I have to show them ID when picking it up? I may not be the one picking it up, so that would be a problem.
And do I have to do that from apple.com or a website at their store??
Also, is shipping cheaper?

You should just order the thing and have it delivered to your house/work/whatever. No, the education discount is on the honor system.

I had 5 grand worth of stuff shipped to my house without a hitch, no problems. Wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the mini.

Enjoy! I want to get one just to have it.

*slaps self*

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
the apple retail stores do carry some 'more popular' build to order options in store.

my brother and I were both buying customized iMacs earlier this year. he was able to buy his at the store but I had to order mine.

you could always call the store and ask if you can get what you'd like in the store or if you'd have to order it online...

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
In a lot of cases if it's just more ram you want then the apple store is usually able to just put it in for you. Also, if what you want is a fully loaded mac.... the apple stores tend to have what the call "ultimate." For instance I have what they call an "ultimate" powerbook g4 15" (100gb, 1gb, 128mb, 1.67GHz), and in fact I only got it that way because I didn't have time to wait for it to be delievered.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
If you do order a computer from the Apple Online Store, you can take it into an Apple Retail Store should any kind of problem/failure arise, right?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Yes! If there was a problem, you could take your online purchase to the local AppleStore genius for
evaluation and repair.

You might also just call your local store to see if they have any minis pre-configured with the specs you want.

You can install a 1 GB stick yourself if you're reasonably careful and save quite a bit, but The AppleStore can also upgrade you in store if you don't
mind getting hozed on their RAM prices.

Personally I would order education store online and pay for overnight shipping.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
FFTT said:
Yes! If there was a problem, you could take your online purchase to the local AppleStore genius for
evaluation and repair.

You might also just call your local store to see if they have any minis pre-configured with the specs you want.

You can install a 1 GB stick yourself if you're reasonably careful and save quite a bit, but The AppleStore can also upgrade you in store if you don't
mind getting hozed on their RAM prices.

Personally I would order education store online and pay for overnight shipping.
That's probably what I will do.
I'll take my sister's discount. She can "Buy" it for me. Technically, she qualifies, so it's not too bad. I should qualify as a HS student, don't see why I don't. :(

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
This is a real nice way to expand your mini if you
find yourself needing additional storage space and connectivity. 160 GB 7200 HD from $179.99

miniheaderports.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/1626391/

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I went to the apple store today and wanted them to put a gig in the new $600 mac mini.. and they wanted $300 to do it. No thanks! I bought the stock (I'm on it now) and I ordered a gig of ram for $100 when I got home. I can deal with 512 ram for 3 days.. it's really not that bad

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
mikemodena said:
I went to the apple store today and wanted them to put a gig in the new $600 mac mini.. and they wanted $300 to do it. No thanks! I bought the stock (I'm on it now) and I ordered a gig of ram for $100 when I got home. I can deal with 512 ram for 3 days.. it's really not that bad

Well I did pre-qualify my post "if you don't mind getting hozed" :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.