Could individual applications support DTS and DTS-HD passthrough? (or no because AppleTV doesn't?)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sofakng, Nov 3, 2015.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'm a little confused on HD audio support with the Apple TV.

The technical specifications list Dolby Digital 7.1. Is that Dolby Digital TrueHD (lossless) passthrough?

Also, it doesn't seem to support DTS. Does that mean it would be possible for an application (i.e. InFuse, Plex) to purchase a license separately so it could support passthrough of the codec? I really hope this is possible, because I could probably live without 1080p/24 but I do want the HD codecs passthrough to my receiver.

2. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I would love to know this as well. I have a synology RAID that can do all my converting on the fly and runs plex for me but I have lots of movies that have DTS but if its not possible for the ATV4 to ever support these audio types somehow I would most likely just stick with my mac mini running kodi.

3. Raphael303 macrumors newbie

Raphael303

I can't believe I actually found a thread mentioning this. I have exactly the same concern. If AppleTV4 with Infuse can't passthrough DTS it truly sucks. If it does do it, the apple TV in one blow killed all other media players because it would be possible to RULE them all. If it doesn't it lacks a basic thing and it will not be able to replace kodi mediacenters or even my terrible WDTV.

4. Raphael303 macrumors newbie

Raphael303

5. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

6. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

I agree and I don't really understand enough but I guess we will have to wait and see if it becomes a reality.

I also don't understand the licensing for Dolby Digital and DTS. If we are simply bitstreaming the audio across HDMI, I don't see why the player (i.e. Apple TV) would require any licenses. The AVR/receiver actually decoding the signal should require the license but in practice this doesn't seem to be the case.

Another example is TiVo and the Plex application. It can stream Dolby Digital, but is not capable of decoding DTS or bitstreaming it.