Could intermittent trackpad lockup on Early 2008 MBP be fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Oct 25, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

I dunno, I don't think it's a software issue since I don't know what piece of software would cause it to do that.

But do you think that the trackpad itself (hardware) is defective? It doesn't do it that often, but I've used my computer enough to know that it does it sometimes...

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I've had this problem on mine too, but it seems to have stopped lately. At first I thought it might be from having slightly damp hands (hot aluminium = sweaty fingertips :eek:), but it didn't happen consistently enough for me to try and diagnose it.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

so it stopped doing that all together on your machine?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hard to say if it's h/w or s/w related. Personally I think it's and issue a firmware update could fix it and expect to see something in the next few weeks. Jan is way too far away for something this annoying. It would seriously hurt sales. I find it mildly annoying on mine.

5. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I now mostly use it as a desktop replacement, with external screen/mouse/keyboard, but on the occasions I have used the trackpad (probably two or three times a week, for a few hours at a time) I haven't noticed any problems. There was one time when the trackpad worked fine except for three finger gestures (for going back/forwards in Safari and moving up/down in my mail inbox), but that seemed to fix itself.

Hope I've been some help :)

6. iViking macrumors 6502

I don't know, but while they are at it, I hope they fix the Late 2008 intermittent trackpad lock up!

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'd bring it in before your warranty expires.

8. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I seem to only have the problem when my thumb wanders onto the touchpad and randomly touches the pad. If I keep my thumb off the pad I don't seem to have any issues. It's hard though since I've been clicking with my thumb for about 10 years.

9. goodmove macrumors member

Mine Stopped...

My pointer used to freeze for a couple of seconds every few minutes. I switched to the faster graphics settings on the Energy Saver preferences and I no longer have that issue.

NOTE: I never had that problem on my Early 2008 MBP.