iPad mini Could iOS 7 make a full size iPad more attractive to Mini users?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arbogast777, Jun 24, 2013.

1. arbogast777 macrumors regular

I own a Mini myself, and while I don't necessarily enjoy the smaller screen, lack of retina, and slower speed, its form and usability trumps everything else for me.

My single biggest gripe about using a full size iPad is that when you need to navigate around, either in a browser or an app, you need to shift this behemoth thing in your hands to hit the buttons at the top. This isn't really the case with the mini where your thumbs can more easily just reach up and tap them.

It occurred to me though that that might not be the case with iOS7 since they seem to be adding gestures in place of buttons. For instance if you want to navigate back, you just move your thumb on the side of the screen. I have a feeling this simple software change could eliminate my least favorite thing of a full size iPad.

What do other Mini owners think, could the software make you rethink about the hardware? I ask because I had assumed I would purchase an updated Mini when the new ones come out, but now I could see myself looking at iPad 5, especially if the bezels were smaller and the weight less...

2. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Nope, Size, weight, and screen size/device size ratio were all key factors to me. Everyone talks about the speed of ipad 4 (I had a 3 before) but really I don't notice where speed makes a difference with iOS apps except for initial load.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The form factor of the 5 (or speculated one) is smaller but not by much. I got the mini for the same reason as you, its size. Unless the full sized ipad can fit into my pocket, I personally wont be interested in it.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The physical size of the Mini is what makes it perfect for me. All of the advantages of the large iPad aren't enough to override that so I don't see what iOS 7 could do to tip the scales any more.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Behemoth thing... lol. :rolleyes:

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, depends on the specific user. If the physical aspects are the reason the person decided on the Mini then probably not. IOS7 doesn't make the full size iPad any smaller so it fits into smaller spaces or easier to carry.

You can't draw broad, sweeping conclusions about everyone out there based solely on your preferences. One data point does not make a trend.

7. arbogast777 thread starter macrumors regular

In all fairness to me, I didn't make a broad sweeping conclusion. As a matter of fact, the reason for this thread being started in the first place was to find out what all the different viewpoints were. The title of this thread (that you quoted) was a question, not a statement.

8. Internaut macrumors 6502a

It is not one or the other for me. Certainly, if they trim some weight of the iPad 5G, it will be very attractive to me, but the Mini is the perfect take anywhere device. iOS 7 would not be a factor, though like many none developers here, I can't wait to play with the release version.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I can't see ever owning a full side iPad. When I first turned on my Mini, I was amazed at the screen quality for not being retina. It is quite good. I kept hearing in the two weeks previous to buying it, how bad the screen was. and how people compared it to older Apple devices. It's not even the same.

A new iOS version won't change my opinions. My Mini came with 6.0.1 installed and I originally Jailbroke it. After two weeks though, I restored and upgraded to the latest. Upgrading fixed a few of the annoying iTunes Match bugs I was having plus my open tabs on my 4S and 3GS now show in Safari on my Mini. Well worth losing my JB over.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Full size iPad for me, love the size and weight. It has a quality feel to it. That said yeah i'm intrigued by iOS 7 but will probably use that as an excuse to get an iPad 5 instead of updating my iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.2) and 3 (iOS 5.1.1) just in case I don't like iOS 7's look.

11. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I'll add one more factor and that is cost.

I think the OS has very little to do with people's decision on which iPad to purchase.

12. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Dont think ill ever go full size again. The mini is fantastic

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Totally agree about the OS version. What percentage of folks on line when a new iPad is released is even concerned about that?