Could iPhone 6 replace my iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Sep 20, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I'm sure many have been thinking about this.
    I just got my first hands on in with the 6 in store a few hours ago. I am really impressed! It is just as thin and light as my iPad mini, and feels sort of like a perfect combination between my 4S an my mini. I was planning on getting a 5S or 5c, but now I am seriously considering selling my iPad mini to get an extra $300 to get the 6. What do you guys think? Has anyone done this? Should I sell my mini to get the 6; or just get the 5S and keep the mini?

2. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I say keep the mini and get a 5s.

While the 6 is beautiful. It's not miles ahead of the 5s in terms of technical specs.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Get a 6/6+ and sell the mini. iPads are device overkill.

4. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Personally, it won't replace my iPad mini that's for sure.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I think the 6+ would be better as a potential iPad mini replacement, but honestly, I think that even that would be too small to use as my only device. I got an iPhone 6 and I kept my mini retina and I'm happy with the combination.

7. mrbadbeard macrumors newbie

mrbadbeard

Maybe

I have a 64GB iPhone 6+ and an iPad Mini Retina. Now that my mobile phone is more powerful than my tablet, I'm leaning towards selling it. I may get a basic Kindle Reader for reading my eBooks when I'm out to conserve iPhone battery life, and I can use that for standard text documents such as sermons, lessons, talking points I use when I speak. The gorgeous display and power of the 6+ makes me stick with that versus a tablet.

8. hypno macrumors regular

Technically it isn't that much better. If you want a larger screen and NFC payments you won't go wrong with a 6 though. To each their own.

9. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

The 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad is so much better for internet viewing than the 16:9 of the phone. Ever used a Nexus 7 inch tablet? That's 16:10 and has nowhere near as much screen real estate as the mini, and that's due to the tall and skinny aspect ratio. Will it work in a pinch-sure. Will it be as enjoyable to use at home as the mini-no way.

10. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

No. I thought it would for me as I carry a mini to read books during commute. But after testing, books on the plus are still awkward, having to turn pages every 6 sentences. Great screen. I think it could be a more viable screen to watch videos on vs. the 5 or 6. But nothing like a tablet.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for all the replies, I am leaning towards keeping the mini.
    But does it change things at all if I don't use my mini much anymore? Usually I use my Mac for school and then afterwards I use my Mac for entertainment. My iPhone is also used at home, and obviously when on the go. My iPad is used for the occasional book report, occasional web browsing, occasional games while waiting in a doctors office, or doing other things I could do with my phone but wanted to do them on a bigger screen. Honestly I don't think I'd miss the mini that much. Does this change things at all? If I don't use the mini that much, than will he bigger screen of the 6 be enough to use for the occasional game or book, and will it make up for not doing other tasks on the iPad because the 6 would already have a bigger screen than my 4s?

12. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

Me neither. Especially for videos,certain game, and web browsing. I've picked up my mini less in the last two days but the 6 is a new toy so it's getting more attention.

13. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Great post!

I was just thinking (as I'm sure many of you also have been) that the iPhone 6 plus could replace my Macbook Air.

Anyone else considering selling their laptop/desktop and going with the 6 plus?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well I purchased the iPad mini Retina last week thursday, but after getting the iPhone 6 Plus on launch, I decided to return the iPad mini Retina. Maybe I'll wait until October, but I don't think Apple will update the iPad Mini Retina.

Now that I'm used to the Touch ID, I don't think I would be able to buy another Apple device without it.

15. Gotoma macrumors member

I know you're joking but some people actually do that with Galaxy Notes.

16. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

A great thread - thank you for posting!

I have not yet had an opportunity to play around with a 6+...but can anyone shed some light as to how A4/letter sized documents (e.g. PDFs) render on the 5.5 screen?

Are they readable?...or more appropriate for ants than humans?

Thanks!

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My wife and kids use iPad Minis (one retina, one not) and I just never bother with them. I use either my iMac or my iPhone 5. I'm going to pick up a 6+ when they are available and for me that will be a nice 'in-between' of the iPhone and iPad. But it's definitely not as big as the iPad Mini.

18. netnative macrumors regular

netnative

That is my strategy. I use an iPad mini and a BlackBerry smartphone daily. I am replacing both for an iPhone 6 Plus. It is not ideal because I find BlackBerry 10 to be a superior OS. However, I will enjoy the simplicity of using one mobile device for all my needs.

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm leaning towards getting rid of my iPad air and just using my 6+. the jury is still out. One thing that bugs me is that in the email app in landscape if you touch the top of the left column, it doesn't shoot you to the top of the list like it does on the iPad. I'm hoping that this is going to be fixed in the future as it's something I use a lot.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I've wanted to do this for awhile and now apple has finally made a bigger phone to try to make it happen. I am a very light user and mostly listen to music, text, Facebook, browse the web etc....so will be testing using my 6 plus for a couple weeks to see if it will replace my mini. I'm hoping it will as I don't really need 2 bigger devices like that. My phone is new, but so far I haven't really picked up my mini as the phone seems to be able to do what I did on the mini