Could iphone 6 support RAW photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristoffer4, Aug 11, 2014.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Do you think the next iphone's camera could have RAW photos support?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Could it? Yes. Will it? No.

Just the way apple rolls. I think we'd see it in iOS 8 if it were going to be on the next iPhone.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Unless the new iPhone can shoot RAW images, I do not see why Apple would include a RAW reader.

The is Apple:apple:

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I very highly doubt it. Plus, most if not all, 16GB iPhone users would not have enough space on their phone to import a single D800 RAW file.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Exactly. The camera module is in NO way of the quality that requires RAW compatibility, plus there's way too little storage space.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

FYI, this thread is not talking about a D800.

An 8mp iPhone RAW file would be expected to come in around 8-11MB. I have 3GB free on my 16GB iPhone, could support plenty of these if I wanted.

7. Imhzw macrumors newbie

Imhzw

But it doesn't mean raw image quality is better.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Its the unprocessed data of an image. No one said its a better image as it stands, although it could be since all the information is there. Its a "digital negative".

9. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I think apple could never support the quality of RAW, but you could have some editing benefits, if you want RAW get the DSLR, Even if apple had RAW facility it will still never replace DSLR.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I was simply making a point that there is no reason for the iPhone to shoot and/or store RAW files on the device.

I'd much rather the iPhone incorporate a larger camera sensor than the ability to shoot RAW.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sure there is. Being able to fix some fairly bad exposures after the fact is amazing.

I don't think this needs to be in the default camera app. But I sure hope 3rd party cameras are allowed to do this soon. I'm thinking they will.

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I doubt Apple would bother with RAW files at any level for their iPhones. What they could do is provide improvements on the jpeg scene. Makers like Fuji who have their X series cameras do amazing in-camera jpegs. There are other camera makers as well that please the vast majority of their customers with just jpeg. I consider iPhone and similar to snapshot cameras and for real photography (just in my own life) I use my camera.

13. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k