Price Advice Could it be a problem if you never use your Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gamecube117, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

So I've had a Macbook Pro for almost two years now. I kind of bought the laptop as an emergency computer (incase my main desktop breaks down, or if I'm traveling). Since I bought it, I never had to use it. And even when traveling I find it a hassle because it's heavy. That's why I want to sell it and go for an iPad... But depending on sales price of it, if I lose $400 or more, I'll probably keep it (I bought it for $1600). I bought it two years ago during that promotion where you get x dollars off and a free iPod Touch.

Anyways, if I never use my Macbook Pro and it just sits at home in the box, could it be damaged? I could legitimately say after owning it for two years, it's only came out of the box five times or less. But I noticed that I would re charge it full, and the next time I would use it (months and months after) the battery has been drained. Is it because it's broken?

Thanks for the replies.

2. simsaladimbamba

For long-term storage periods, the battery should be discharged to 50 %.
    • BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

PS: Why not sell it? Or is a 400 USD loss more important than a 1600 USD loss?

PPS: Too heavy?

3. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why though? I never use it. I charge it to 100%, and if I don't use it, it drains 50%? :confused: Does that mean it's broken?

Also, what do you think I could sell it for or should I just keep it and have both iPad and MBP?

4. simsaladimbamba

I updated my post with another link.

It is up to you, but if you don't use it and someone else can use it, why not sell it? You already "lost 400 USD" in your words in two years, then why lose 1600 USD?
    Mac2Sell, Gazelle or eBay (Việt Nam, Türkiye, Česká republika, Hanguk) might be good price checkers.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

6. gamecube117, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC374LL/A
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Originally released April 2010
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

I checked under the site under the "Refurbished MacBook Pro" since they don't sell this one anymore and it is now $899 CAN plus tax, so it will be $1,015.87 after taxes. How much would you suggest that I sell it for? Keep in mind I've only used it less than five times. Nothing is downloaded, I only used it for web browsing. In total, I used it for less than 90 minutes and also I realized I paid $1300 for it, not $1600. I got it for a student discount so -$100, and had bought an iTouch and got reimbursed -$200 so I paid $1300. It's worth $900 on the Apple site now ($400 loss)...

7. Bear macrumors G3

If you buy a computer expecting it to hold its value like diamonds or gold, then you need to re-evaluate why you're buying a computer. A computers value is based on what you do with it.

Either sell it or don't.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Turns this into a price advice thread. Moved accordingly.

B

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

$900 on the Apple site is different from you getting $900 for it. From the Apple site, you're getting something in like new condition with a battery that's been tested to factory spec, and the thing is warrantied for a year assuming no Applecare. You might still get something like that for it going by many of the posts on here, but it depends on an ignorant buyer. Anyway computers are not something you buy for residual value. People might mention that used Macs sell better, but try to sell one with hardware that's past the point of working perfectly, and the experience may be quite different.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You need to keep in mind when comparing that it has zero warranty when you try to compare to a refurb which has a full year. That's $$ off right there.

You're going to lose $, used or not. Computers are far from an investment, and a laptop that's a dated spec, and has no warranty can't be expected to have it's original value. Regardless of how much you've used it, the resale market will not take that into consideration as you can't prove it. Only thing will be is that it should present as a brand new computer from the condition standpoint, but it's not like a 2 year old car with 500 miles either in that there's a reference point to determine its use. Best thing would be the battery cycles, but even then one used as a desktop always tied to AC is going to have a low cycle count.

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I sold your exactly computer with AppleCare - which gave the person 22 months of warranty at the time. Also upgraded RAM to 8GB - Sold it for $900

12. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just received an offer of $860 which I would probably take. He said in one condition - that the battery life is good. I said I never used it more than five times for a fact. He said perfect.

Can battery life "go bad" if you never use your computer? I don't want to be shipping this Macbook out and tells me that it's not working, etc.

13. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Yea, if you leave it plugged in all the time the battery is likely to go bad.

14. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

No no... It's the opposite. Can the battery go bad if I never use the computer (so, I never recharge it since I've never used it)

15. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

Time will play a slight factor, but I would expect the battery to work almost like new.

16. hafr macrumors 68030

You should take it, considering it's not worth more than maybe 750 max, with the battery being like new.