Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Oh noooos, teh Hardcorn gamers don't buyZzz the Wiizz; ;)
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=56785

How can this be? it's a 3rd party core game -- not even a AAA title -- and it sold well on the Wii, better than even the 360.

With the Wii's much larger user base this sort of thing should not be a surprise, but for many 3rd developers like UbiSoftz, it's a huge contraction to what they would like to believe about the Wii user-base.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i will say i have cod 5 on my wii. my bros 360 has been in service so i ve been playing the wii

its ok. however, the 360 came back and it was like whoa, finally cod4 again. sooooo much better. so much better graphics. it was as if it was a next gen console all over again

the wii is a gimmick system ive decided. aprt from galaxy, i wouldnt buy another game for it

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
yeah ive grown custom to saying this with the wii some one else sayed this i read online some where but the wii is baiscly a $200 board game that you get out when you have company which is baiscly what ive been with the wii its only been used for that ocasional hey i dont know what to play so why not play wii

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
COD:WaW Wii sikkinixx, it's not one of the "10" games we've all played over and over. ;)

I would actually play BioShock on the Wii to completion and only because of the controls. I was sorely a let down by the PC version. Dead Space was great and I'd definitely buy it again for the Wii. I loved RE4 on the Wii, it's why I even bought Dead Space for my PC in the first place, which is like a cross between a Shock game and RE4.

Board games and gimmicks. Count me in if this is what it takes to make bank and gain global market dominance. Maybe it is that easy.. Naaaaaaah. That's a bit superficial, there's obviously more to the Wii than just a bit of waggle and a party toy. :eek:

But seriously, there's nothing gimmicky about a dedicated pointer and if you only play party games on the Wii, or board games, that's really your choice. After all it's a game console, buy the games that suit your taste -- it has a "few" great ones, which are buried behind the shovelware.

As they say, vote with your wallet -- which brings me back to why I posted this thread. Apparently other Wii users did when they purchased WaW on the Wii. Out of all games, this one sold well and it's not a Conduit or Mad World, or other hyped game. And this comes not even a couple of months after more FUD had been spread about the Wii, that 3rd party titles don't sell on it, which is a farce, quality games will sell on any console.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As they say, vote with your wallet -- which brings me back to why I posted this thread. Apparently other Wii users did when they purchased WaW on the Wii. Out of all games, this one sold well and it's not a Conduit or Mad World, or other hyped game. And this comes not even a couple of months after more FUD had been spread about the Wii, that 3rd party titles don't sell on it, which is a farce, quality games will sell on any console.

Didn't one of them Guitar Hero-y type games also sell better on the Wii than the other 2?

As much as I haven't bought a new game for the Wii in a long time (Brawl in June, UK Launch) I'm still having more fun on this little white box than other consoles. Not handhelds or PC though. I know people play games for different reasons, some like realism, some like A/V standards posted all over the box and that's cool and all. Me? I like a good fun console game to kick back with :)
I don't care if its a 3rd party title or whatever, or if its not AAA. Just make it addictive and replayable.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just a rant about the Wii in general.....

It makes me sad to know that all those piss poor casual games that took no innovation and a team of about 3 people only two months to 'knock up' as opposed to 'create' are outselling some pure gems that have taken millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to create.

Seriously if it continues in the same vein, what incentive is there for publishers or developers to actually turn out 'proper' games if they are not selling as well as the diatribe that fill up the wii charts.

The wii may have breathed life with a new audience in one breath, but I can foresee it sucking the remainder of life out of the 'games' industry in another.

In 10 years ALL we will have to endure are games that include sewing, looking after disabled goldfish and shaking yet another bloody add-on at the screen.....

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Where are the sales numbers for CoD on Wii though? They don't list it in that article you posted. The article basically supports the argument that only casual gamers are buying for the Wii since Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit and Animal Crossing are the top Wii (and overall) sellers.

Unless I am missing the point of your argument (?)

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Just a rant about the Wii in general.....

It makes me sad to know that all those piss poor casual games that took no innovation and a team of about 3 people only two months to 'knock up' as opposed to 'create' are outselling some pure gems that have taken millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to create.

Seriously if it continues in the same vein, what incentive is there for publishers or developers to actually turn out 'proper' games if they are not selling as well as the diatribe that fill up the wii charts.

The wii may have breathed life with a new audience in one breath, but I can foresee it sucking the remainder of life out of the 'games' industry in another.

In 10 years ALL we will have to endure are games that include sewing, looking after disabled goldfish and shaking yet another bloody add-on at the screen.....

Is that sort of an argument for EA-type huge budget games done by committee? It seems to like game suckitude can come in any form. I know that there are a lot of people buying games that are pretty much terrible-- and the same thing goes for movies-- but I think it's unfair to rant against cheap-o, not so great third party games without saying that there are plenty of "big budget" fancy-lad GAMER GAMEZ that are just as dull and uninspired. I have been loving the downloadable PS3 games like Monsters way more that the latest FPS sequels.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
That black N White blood bath of a game can't come soon enough....my patients with the Wii is running thin. Come on Capcom spin out another Viewtiful Joe and lets get it going again.

The last Wii game I bought was Mario Kart Wii and thats not holding my attention. I need something juicy for the system.....seriously.

I'm curious....does W@W on the wii have online play?

Bless

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
The bestselling PC game is still Bejeweled. Its not just the Wii that sucks.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
sikkinixx, I got my numbers mixed up as usual. :eek:

My patients has been wearing thin also, but not with Nintendo and especially not with the Wii.

It's completely directed towards the 3rd party developers and publishers. The morons that assume that only new or casual gamers bought a Wii, that we don't like variety and that everything has to be dumbed down.

2nyRiggz, yes, WaW has online play on the Wii. It's only 8 players though. Compare this to Medal of Honor 2 -- a first year Wii game -- which offers 32 player support, or Conduit which will support up to 16 players from what I recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.