Could it last me five years?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zombrman, Oct 24, 2011.

1. zombrman, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

zombrman macrumors newbie

Me: Graphic artist; CS4 Design Standard; budget-conscious; currently using an Intel iMac from early 2008 (I think, it's the 9,1 model), 2 Gigs of RAM, 10.5.8.

It: Recently refreshed 'base' 15" MBP, 2.2 etc.

Needs: A portable computer that is compatible with my current stuff. I tried switching over to Windows and it lasted less than 24 hours, so I will count Mac OS as a 'need'.

Wants: To not be left behind in 5 years with what I buy today. And to play Diablo 3 if it comes out in the next 5 years.

You: Advice? I know 5 years might be pushing it, but I want a machine that will last until I can upgrade at my leisure. I'm not precious about needing top-of-the-line, given how that's an endlessly moving target, but I figure for the money the new base 15" MBP should be good for a while (will do RAM/HD myself as needed). I know Ivy Bridge is coming out next year but I can't wait that long for a new computer -- but how much will Ivy Bridge suddenly make my computering better than what SB 2.2 can do right now?

I've done tons of research and discovered much to my dismay I am terminally stupid; so in keeping with that I'd like to now ask strangers to tell me what to do. Thanks.

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

4 years easy, 5 doable. If you can wait for Ivy do, if not don't sweat it, the Sandy bridge can hold it's own very well.

As for Ivy bridge, we should see better performance and battery life, but that's all speculation as to what Apple Engineers will come up with.

3. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

IT will definitely run graphics applications fine, as will it run D3. Lasting 5 years is really hard to say, but 2~3 years, easily. That is, if you aren't really keen about upgrading to the newest, bestest Adobe CS series or w/e.

Ivy bridge will definitely be worth the wait and ppl are predicting 2~30% increase in efficiency and all. I would like that, but I ordered my 15" last weekend since I desperately need a computer now, and I know it will last me a good deal.

4. zombrman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. 2-3 years is acceptable. Maybe by then I'll have worked myself into a better tax bracket so it won't matter.

I thought about just adding some more RAM to my iMac, upgrading to Lion and trying to tough it out, but I work freelance and travel a lot and it really behooves me to have a workstation I can take with.

I'm really sick of Adobe's increasingly accelerated upgrade treadmill so I'm going to stick with CS4 as long as possible. I've read that outside an easily-resolved Java issue CS4 works fine with Lion. I'm also sort of worried that Apple and Adobe are going to break up at some point.

Cheers. :)

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

2-3 years absolutely, and very likely 5 years, assuming that you take care of it and that the software you want to run doesn't start requiring different specs. I just moved from a 2008 MBP to an early 2011 MBP about a month ago...but it wasn't because I needed to. The 2008 was still working great, running CS4 just fine. I think I could have easily gotten 2 more years of use out of it. But now I'm enjoying my new MBP and hubby is happily using the 2008 for software development.