Could jailbreaking your iPhone/Touch land you in jail?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DuckSoup, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/18/could-jailbreaking-your-iphone-land-you-in-jail/

Well probably not jail – but if Apple has its way, in some sort of legal trouble. I saw this over at Wired’s Threat Level blog. Apparently Apple is asserting that hacking the phone to run non-approved applications violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Jailbreaking is a process that opens up the iPhone’s or iPod Touch’s OS to installing applications not purchased or downloaded from Apple’s official application store.

The rest of this article is at the link above

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Jailbreaking by itself will not land you in jail.

Jailbreaking + hacking/pirating apps potentially could land you in jail. Most of my friends are rich but they still choose to pirate apps. (Ironic huh?) They even hacked the Facebook and AIM apps.

3. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

No you can not go to jail for jailbreaking. It's YOUR ipod, do what you want with it.

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

what he said. you paid for it do what you will with it

5. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

... Why? Those apps are free to begin with.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Every response in this thread missed the entire point. And it's easy to see why, as it would be more conducive to proper discussion if the source material were linked, and not a regurgitated version of a regurgitated news snippet:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/apple-says-jailbreaking-illegal

The point isn't debating its current status of legality, but rather that the issue is being brought to the fore by the EFF, and Apple is claiming that it circumvents DRM. And, by way of breaking the DMCA, this is circumventing copyright protection law. The reason it's being brought to the fore by the EFF is because it's that time of the 3 year cycle to bring up exemptions to the DMCA.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The rich kids at my school are as dumb as you can imagine. They bought their iPods through eBay because Apple was charging them this extra fee (tax) and was dismayed when eBay charged it too saying they were frauded.

8. jobsfnby macrumors regular

i hacked the facebook app and other apps because i'm still using 2.1 and the appstore apps won't download to my iphone so i use the cracked ones...mostly on the free ones only though, unless i bought it on itunes

thats the only legal reason i see in installing cracked apps