Could just be me.. but didn't Apple announce delta updates for apps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Jare, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jare, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Didn't Apple announce delta updates for apps in iOS awhile ago? I have yet to see one true Delta update, apps are still fully redownloading themselves during updates.

I mean c'mon, downloading a 1GB+ App on 3G (or even crappy wifi) isn't a solution. LTE isn't available in my area anyways and with Canadian data caps screw downloading GB's at a time.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure.

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Have heard people talking about this in early iOS 6 betas, but so far it's still essentially redownloading the whole app like you said. I hope delta app updates come in the future too.

Btw, I don't heard Apple actually announcing this feature in any of their keynotes. The only one related is OTA updates for iOS in 2011 iOS 5 WWDC keynote.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I edited the title to make it a bit less ambiguous

Taking off my Mod hat and putting on my member hat...

I think apple mentioned that delta updates for iOS not for apps. I don't do OTH updates for iOS so I'm not sure if we're seeing that however

4. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I was actually just updating the title as you edited it, you overwrote my changes :p

Sidenote: @beeplance It may have just been for iOS updates themselves. Sheesh, we're still following the old Apple 'wait 5 years till the technology is polished before launching!' Would have figured by now we'd have pure delta ios app updates.

5. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I updated Galaxy On Fire 2 HD a little while ago on my iPhone and it downloaded in seconds, there was no way it could have downloaded the full thing again in that time - I thought delta updates for apps were working since then.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Not yet for non-Apple apps. You will certainly see it in Apple's own before we are able to include in our apps.

As a developer, I'm really looking forward to this capability.

7. ProudLoz macrumors regular

This is something that's really needed. Specially for those universal apps that are so huge. I can't "cut the cord" like Apple insists I should because I don't want to "download" the same huge update on all my devices. I'm wasting precious bandwidth.

8. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I could have sworn they said delta app updates and people cheered. Maybe it was just 'delta ios updates' but even then, I wouldn't cheer.

I guess I'm getting old.

9. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

Last week I had 1 Gb+ (non-Apple) app updated in about 10 seconds - so I do think delta updates are working. However as with any technology it depends on developers - if they've for some reason changed every single file in the app (for example if they used some additional encryption to prevent piracy) then delta updates are impossible.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

"Delta All of the things!"

Please Apple. Make it happen. Help me preserve my bandwidth.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I also could be wrong, but I thought this feature was strictly for OTA updates for iOS only from iOS 5 onward.

It would be cool, for iOS apps, though! But to be honest, the apps I use are only like a few Mb anyways.

And honestly, app updates are hardly so urgent that you need them right away over cellular - just wait until you get a wifi hotspot or home!

12. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

Android announced delta app updates for JellyBean. Apple, they only announced delta updates for iOS.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

14. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Its been since beta 1, almost all my apps have updated that way; i guess it depends on the developer.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They've never announced deltas for apps themselves.

Which is a shame, as Infinity Blade 2 now requires you to keep over 2.5 gig of space free on your device for updates...

16. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

No just delta updates for iOS itself. Not apps.. Maybe iOS 7 when they announce the new "worlds best mobile os"

17. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Delta update work for apps too, since beta 1 i started to see it, even the damm iwork apps updated that way.

18. Daveoc64, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

People keep saying about seeing it in the beta, but they have dropped quite a few features since the final version of iOS 6 was released.

Apple never announced it to developers or consumers, so it seems surprising to me that they would continue to do it.

19. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Also the limit for cellular data on the appstore its up to 50mb i think.