Could my iPhone 3G accelerometer be broken?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fishmoose, Oct 29, 2008.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I suspect there's something wrong with my accelerometer, sometimes when i'm just sitting on a chair the ipod mode can go from being normal to coverflow just by me moving the iPhone slightly to another direction.
    Is this normal?

Also i often use my iPhone in bed to browse the internet and lissen to music/podcast and when i'm lying on my back and move my arm slightly the phone goes into landscape mode, should it be like this?

To me it seems like it's to sensitive.

Anyone have a take on this is my phone broken or is it normal behavior?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Ya i get this sometimes. Most people do also. I also sometimes get where i turn the phone sideways on safari, and it wont go landscape mode, so i would have to turn it all the way around to the other side, and then it would finally go to landscape mode.

3. daisuke07 macrumors regular

You just have to tilt it up a little bit.

4. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

So you think this is a software problem?

I would love some kind off app that could test the accelerometer, it could be shared with ad-hoc mode.

Anyone else know anything about this?

5. Joroto macrumors newbie

Test the accelerometer

In response to these queries we developed a test application called aGauge®.

It returns the numerical values output by the accelerometer. Move the device around and note the numbers being returned. Compare the results side-by-side with another device. This is not a hardware test but can tell you if your device is performing similarly to others.

6. iBrody macrumors 6502

My coverflow comes on nearly every time I go into the ipod function, very annoying.

I don't know why Apple don't release an update to so we can choose manual coverflow/landscape to use gestures to put the phone into these modes.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

theres an app on cydia that temporarily disables the accelerometer. i forget what its called but a quick google search should do the trick.

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

The app on Cydia is an SBSettings toggle called Rotation Inhibitor.

The easiest way to check your accelerometer, I think, would be to download the free iHandy Level app from the App Store. It can check the accelerometer on all 3 axes. Plus, if you do have a bum accelerometer, the advantage to this method would be that you can use this app to clearly demonstrate the defect to an Apple Genius (whereas a demonstration using software from Cydia wouldn't exactly be welcome, I'm sure).

-- Nathan