could my macbook have a short?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kallierenee306, Feb 3, 2011.

1. kallierenee306 macrumors newbie

So my macbook charger stopped working last night. No external damage and it wasn't overheated. I used my mom's charger last night because I needed to do a paper for school. That charger worked fine and I unplugged it from my computer to return it to my mom this morning. Now neither of the chargers work. Could there be something wrong with my actual computer that is causing them not to work? I just replaced my battery and both the chargers were working fine before.

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

its possible... but youd have to have it checked at the Genius Bar... they have a quick test to tell whats up.

3. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

could my macbook have a short?

My mac basically killed two chargers that were working perfectly fine. I just got my computer fixed with a new battery and everything so I really have no idea what happened. My charger stopped working and I used my moms and then hers stopped working and this happened in a day. WHAT IS GOING ON!!
    Please help :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you know they stopped working?

5. simsaladimbamba

Do you still have warranty or Apple Care or something similar, that way you could have someone professional take a look at?

6. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

The green light won't turn on for either of them and it doesn't say it's charging...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is the battery fully charged?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

8. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it ran out of juice and I can't charge it. I'm on an old school desktop computer right now. But I just got the battery replaced two weeks ago so I don't know what could be wrong.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Battery FAQ I posted, especially the last part of the section on "CHARGING".

10. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

unplug both adapters for a few minutes and try them again. If they still dont light up... there may be an issue with the magsafe connector on the computer. Could it have gotten wet around that connector? Thats usually what makes those go bad...

11. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

No way it could have gotten wet. And I've left it unplugged for about half an hour and still no luck :/

12. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still don't know what to do. It's not an issue with the battery, the charger just won't charge mine or my mom's computers.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't read it, did you?

14. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read your post and I also went to the trouble shooting link to Apple, but none of those told me how to fix it. It isn't charged so my computer won't turn on and the actual charger will not work so I have no way to use it.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So that means you reset the SMC, as well?

16. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I held down the power button and what not and it didn't change anything.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, I missed the "and what not" part of the instructions, but if you exactly followed the instructions for resetting the SMC with no effect, I'd take the adapter and your Mac to the Apple store and let them look at it.

18. kallierenee306 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess that's all I can do. Thanks for your help.